Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Cleaning a Jet Ski

Hey Guys I would like to know what I need to clean the ski on the outside and the inside where the engine is at. I know about Salt away but what I would like to know is the steps to doing this first time I am getting a Jet ski so this is a learning process for me.. I try searching the site for this topic but nothing.. Whats are the steps to cleaning it on the inside of the ski does it have a plug like boats do to let the water out.

Thanks

Unless your getting salt water in the engine compartment by the gallons, then i wouldn't spray water on the engine. It ends up doing more harm than good because it gets in your electrical connections. Just use anti corrosive spray on the engine and electrical connectors. I ride in salt water and never spray my engines with the hose. They look new. I also spray the jet pump with some anti corrosive spray as well.
    If you want to flush the internals of the engine with salt away, they sell an in line adapter to connect to the garden hose for the salt away.

Mike
    +1
    I usually wash the outside of the hull with soap, then hose the inside of the hull and then coat the inside of the engine compartment with Fluid Film or some type of anti corrosive. Salt-a-way is expensive. I've been using just water and never had an issue.

+1
    I used to skip spraying down the engine area until I was around inside and could feel salt coating everything. Now I use a light spray on the inside. I dont feel it will hurt anything. It is after all a marine engine. It doesnt seem to matter if you get water in there when you ride or not. This stuff gets everywhere eventually.

All the ski's have drain plugs at the back.

I ride in salt water - used to rinse with plain water, but could still see salt residue when it dried. Have since swithced to using Saltaway. Comes with a hose adapter/dispenser. First I run it through the engine, then put on a regular hose nozzle and use what's left to rinse off the boat inside and out. Just be sure to tip the trailer up so everything drains out the back.

How long does it take to clean the ski once one gets the hang of it 30min ??

+1
    That depends on your idea of cleaning. lol

I ride in fresh water and have only sprayed down the engine compartment once.

Normally I use a microfiber wash mitt and soap down the entire top deck, scrub in the foot wells and get every square inch. I use an absorber to dry it off, and then use a soft bristle brush to soap down the bottom of the hull, inside the pump tunnel, and even knock the dirt off my trailer.

Then the detailing begins. Don't even get me started there. I use a porter cable to apply about three layers of stuff.

1. Optimum Polyseal - removes light scratches and swirls and also seals the finish
    2. Poorboy's EX - also a sealer with some wax in it
    3. Rejex - Polymer wax to repel water spots and UV rays

Total time is about 3-4 hours. But, my ski is black, and I'm anal as hell.

Hitman I like the way you take care of the ski I will follow that.. I am sure everyone is jealous of your ski when you drop in the lake right..

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by YamahaHulk View Post
    Hitman I like the way you take care of the ski I will follow that.. I am sure everyone is jealous of your ski when you drop in the lake right..
    I actually do get a lot of comments. People say it looks like it just came off the showroom floor. I learned to detail when I got a black car. I buy all of my detailing products from specialtymotoring.com. You can pick up the Porter Cable 7424 for around $120. They used to have them at Lowes.

lets race....
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by hitman View Post
    That depends on your idea of cleaning. lol

I ride in fresh water and have only sprayed down the engine compartment once.

Normally I use a microfiber wash mitt and soap down the entire top deck, scrub in the foot wells and get every square inch. I use an absorber to dry it off, and then use a soft bristle brush to soap down the bottom of the hull, inside the pump tunnel, and even knock the dirt off my trailer.

Then the detailing begins. Don't even get me started there. I use a porter cable to apply about three layers of stuff.

1. Optimum Polyseal - removes light scratches and swirls and also seals the finish
    2. Poorboy's EX - also a sealer with some wax in it
    3. Rejex - Polymer wax to repel water spots and UV rays

Total time is about 3-4 hours. But, my ski is black, and I'm anal as hell.
    haha sound just like me

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information