+1

RXT Fiberglass Damage - $750 reasonable?

I was out this past Saturday and had another skier clip the side of my RXT. Repairing it myself is pretty much out of the question. I've got no experience with gel coats and fiberglass, plus I don't even have a garage to do it in. Repair estimates have ranged from $750 - $1500. Does this seem right for this small amount of damage? Or am I getting jobbed? The damage is definitely down into the fiberglass, but I can't see that it punched a hole all the way through or anything like that.

-Kevin
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	crash1.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	57.0 KB 
ID:	145376   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	crash2.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	45.2 KB 
ID:	145377   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	crash3.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	62.1 KB 
ID:	145378  

+1
    LOL, at first when I saw your pics I was thinking WOW that's a huge area, but then I saw the third photo...

I don't know man, to me that seems a little high for a small ding, I was thinking like $350 - 500, but I'm not a repair guy... at any rate, your insurance or the guy that hit you should help with this, right?

+1
    Yeah, I was thinking that's quite a lot. Hell, for about that, I'll sell you my rxp hull and you can do a little transplant

why not make the moron who hit you pay for it?

+1
    If you consider the price of the decal and the rub rail that appears to be damaged, the labor to r&r them, the 3-4 hr repair, plus refinish and materials, I would say the $750 is resonable. Keep in mind that they will be refinishing and blending a much larger area than the actual damage.

+1
    my .02
    dont bother to repair the rubrail, battle scars are cool. it doesnt even look that bad...
    remove all decals from the ski and dont pay for new one to replace the scratched one.
    just get the fiberglass/gelcoat fixed. that is a small repair, the cost seems high, find some other estimates.
    now if other guy is offering to pay entire cost, and he's not a buddy, go for it , make him pay out the A$$.
    but if its your money or you are a nice guy, minimize cost, just get the gelcoat redone, and put the extra money into, peformance mods, custom seatcover, whatever you want.
    i always thought those new decals were cheezy anyway, clean red ski with no extra cheeze on it, maybe a badass seatcover, would be alot more sharp looking.
    just my opinion.
    PS you are lucky you didnt get hurt, people have lost a leg in that kind of collision, ride safe!!!!!! leave the rubrail there to remind you of what not to do when riding!!

+1
    you could also cover it with duct tape for the next few months and keep riding it until winter. that is not structural nor much chance of damage spreading. that would also give you time to find a better price. just keep it dry, seal it from the water. enjoy the end of the season. think about it for a few months. that is barely more than a chip in the paint.
    you could probably order the decal yourself and stick it on after gelcoat is repaired, save around 150 bux right there, dont bother with the rubrail save 250 there.
    just gelcoat work, shouldnt be more than 300 for that small patch, only thing to look at is any cracks?? can you flake off other chunks of gelcoat around the existing ding, flake them all off to see just how large the final patch will have to be , that small ding is cheep, but if it get alot bigger, size of a baseball card, size of a CD case... cost will be more.
    but again just get the gelcoat work done. that should save a bunch. the decal and rubrail parts are expensive and you are paying shop rate for R/R, do some of that yourself and you save a ton, stickers are EASY!!!

+1
    or right now , you can razor blade out par tof the sticker around the hole.
    looks like theres mostly red there anyway so the red hull will look the same, only tiny bit of black and white would be missing, not worth trashing the whole sticker.
    if you look at it for 10 minutes figure out aesthetically/ geometrically, what to cut out, cut straight lines, you would barely notice its missing, once the gelcoat were fixed.
    slap a RIVA sticker, SOLAS sticker over it and you will never see the decal underneath is cut.

+1
    some of those white scuffs will buff off the sticker, wipe the sticker with wd40 and a light scotchbrite pad, before you start cutting peeling, you can salvage alot of it.
    does look like some of the cracks and flakes are under the sticker though, so investigate that while you are cutting peeling.

Thread Information