Problems with throttle cable??

Just wondering if anyone else has had problems with the recall cable? I bought a 07 gp1300r new 3 months ago from the dealer it has 3 hours on it and i have already had to take it back in because when i brought it out the third time as soon as i stuck it on the water and started it something inside the black cylinder that ys off to 2 cables came apart i had no throttle. I talked to another dealer other than the one i bought it from and they said there was a recall on the recall kit because there known to fail. Just wondering if this has happend to anyone else? Thanks for any input!

+1

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by dave916 View Post
    Just wondering if anyone else has had problems with the recall cable? I bought a 07 gp1300r new 3 months ago from the dealer it has 3 hours on it and i have already had to take it back in because when i brought it out the third time as soon as i stuck it on the water and started it something inside the black cylinder that ys off to 2 cables came apart i had no throttle. I talked to another dealer other than the one i bought it from and they said there was a recall on the recall kit because there known to fail. Just wondering if this has happend to anyone else? Thanks for any input!
    I have seen the same thing happen when the recall cable was instaled. The little nylon drum in the cable splitter box cracked. The cause is there was not enough play in the cable at the throttle finger lever and when you went to full throttle the cable was too tight and caused the drum to crack because the lever was not reaching the grip for a full opening stop and you pulled the cable end through the drum cracking the drum. When adjusted correctly the finger lever should bottom aginst the grip for just as the throttle reaches full open and not put undue pressure on this drum inside the cable splitter box . Tommy Jordan

32 Valves To Love! Racecar_Dave's Avatar
    +1
    My ski had the racall done before i bought it, broke, yamaha reperformed the recall and then WFO found that the oil pump cable was faulty.

Quote Originally Posted by 2fast4u View Post
    I have seen the same thing happen when the recall cable was instaled. The little nylon drum in the cable splitter box cracked. The cause is there was not enough play in the cable at the throttle finger lever and when you went to full throttle the cable was too tight and caused the drum to crack because the lever was not reaching the grip for a full opening stop and you pulled the cable end through the drum cracking the drum. When adjusted correctly the finger lever should bottom aginst the grip for just as the throttle reaches full open and not put undue pressure on this drum inside the cable splitter box . Tommy Jordan

Thanks alot for the info. When i go to pick it up form the dealer im gonna talk to the mechanic about that to make sure it doesnt happen again. Ill just adjust it myself if i have to. now im without a brand new ski for two weeks cause they have to order the part and it takes six buisness days what a joke. They better start stocking those things cause im sure im not the only one. Thanks again tommy for the knowledge!

Quote Originally Posted by Racecar_Dave View Post
    My ski had the racall done before i bought it, broke, yamaha reperformed the recall and then WFO found that the oil pump cable was faulty.

Sounds like yamaha should come up with a better set up.

ARE U SERIOUS?! i drove 4 hours across the island to get this recall done and am gonna pick it up this week, so now there is a possibility that the recall is gonna fail?

is there any way possible way to check it before i leave the shop?

32 Valves To Love! Racecar_Dave's Avatar
    +1
    i think the failure is inside the casing so you cant see it. i think.

Racecar_dave is correct the failure is in the casing so you cant see it. But you know it when it breaks i had no throttle at all just idle. I think the best thing to do is to check it when you pick it up pull the throttle slightly if you get to much tension before it hits the handle then it probably needs to be adjusted or if it doesnt hit the handle at all then it needs adjusting. From what 2fast4u said that would be my best guess on how to avoid it. Thats what im gonna do when i pick mine up also when i get it on the water ill check it before i really go romping on it.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by GPRinPR View Post
    ARE U SERIOUS?! i drove 4 hours across the island to get this recall done and am gonna pick it up this week, so now there is a possibility that the recall is gonna fail?

is there any way possible way to check it before i leave the shop?
    Just be sure throttle finger lever is touching the handle bar grip at full throttle so you won't put undue stress on the cable at wide open throttle. If the lever won't touch the grip just adjust the cable at the top adjustment on the cable at the lever till the lever touches the grip at full throttle and everything will be OK, Tommy Jordan

Thread Information