Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Banned User

Dry Ice Intercooler Box

We are in the process of engineering a Dry Ice intercooler Box to put inline with our existing Intercooler for Drag Racing.
    It will be mounted between the existing intercooler and throttle body.

Our testing in Drag car racing clearly showed a drop in Intercooler temps from +42 degrees to - 40 degrees and HP gains were astonishing.

The down fall is Dry Ice wont last long but it will definitely give you a major advantage in holeshot and the first few laps, we think best results will be in Drag Racing for top speeds.

My research tells me the Std ECU the RR ECU and the Riva ECU are only good for 0 degrees so if you try this on one of the 3 listed the odds are you will loose HP as the mixture will be Rich.

The Intercooler Box with a core will have a dry Ice compartment and a bleed off breather to the atmosphere so when the Dry Ice has evaporated the Engine will run as per normal with existing intercooler possibly less 1/2 LB Boost due to extra pipes and bends.

Looking for some feed back and input.

"Crazy" but so are we Aussies down under!

So this will connect inline to the IC ?
    Could you not just have the cold dry ice gas be sucked in from the intake ?
    I thought about putting some blue ice packs in my rear bucket so the intake could suck in cold air. I bet the same concept would work if dry ice gas was sent to it and you wouldn't loose the boost from the plumbing.

What is the difference between dry ice and using Nitrous. Isn't dry ice nitrous gas anyways ?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	intake bucket.JPG 
Views:	800 
Size:	74.2 KB 
ID:	6675  

Ice

I used to do the same thing with drag cars but really didn't want to use dry ice. We just used ice, worked well. Intercoolers on these machines, PWC's, as far as I know are affective and can be adjusted to run fuel at right mixture. I'm thinking of the Riva if Rotax doesn't produce a better one over the winter.

Ahh....where am I?
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Kinchyle
    So this will connect inline to the IC ?
    Could you not just have the cold dry ice gas be sucked in from the intake ?
    I thought about putting some blue ice packs in my rear bucket so the intake could suck in cold air. I bet the same concept would work if dry ice gas was sent to it and you wouldn't loose the boost from the plumbing.

What is the difference between dry ice and using Nitrous. Isn't dry ice nitrous gas anyways ?
    I mentioned something like this a few weeks ago, I didn't mention Dry Ice because it's usually not readily available, BUT...It would work sooo much better! And probably would last longer in an AIR tight compartment.

What they probably are thinking is build some case that the Pressurized hose would go through and you would dump[ in Dry Ice pellets into then close the case.

Dry ice (-78.5degrees) is CO2 carbon Dioxide, Nitrous is well, N2O Nitrous Oxide.

I think Dry Ice vapors sucked into the intake would not help, maybe hurt. My thinking of this is, CO2 Fire Extinguishers smother fire.

Ahh....where am I?
    +1
    As long ad the Dry Ice gases arn't allowd to escape the compartment, it takes a long time for Dry Ice to "melt", goes from solid to gas, no liquid.

BUT!!!!!!!
    WARNING!!!!

Condensation!!!!! Ice Build-up on the inside of the intake tube!!! Might be a bad idea because of that.

Hot or warm air meeting up with the inside of the frozen tube with cause condensation and ice build up.

Damn...It sounded good... I think only a regular ice box like I mentioned and other have (damn, I just searched the forums and can't find it. I'm loosing it)

Take this note seriously, we make dry ice bombs at home with 1 leter plastic bottles ,little water and dry ice. and run like hell, emagine this going off under your seat. YES mph gain, loss 200pds when driver flies off .

Banned User
    The Intercooler will have the pallet Dry ice conpartment and it will also have a core with larger Air fins.

Ity works realy well on cars so im guessing it will work on our Ski's

Ive seen it done.

And yes ive only seen condensation in the tank after the Dry ice evaporates through the small outlet pipe which must exit the ski hull.

Strangely, I heard that running WITH dry ice is very dangerous. Anyone?

Banned User
    Are you sure your not confusing LIQUID NITROGEN with Dry Ice?

Ahh....where am I?
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by RXP Down Under
    Our testing in Drag car racing clearly showed a drop in Intercooler temps from +42 degrees to - 40 degrees and HP gains were astonishing.

The down fall is Dry Ice wont last long but it will definitely give you a major advantage in holeshot and the first few laps, we think best results will be in Drag Racing for top speeds.
    RXP Down Under -

Sorry, I didn't read that you guys have tried this in drag cars, Did you experience any inside iceing issues?

Also, Dry Ice if contained in a sealed compartment so the CO2 gasses can't evaporate, maintains it's temperature much longer, eventually turning into compressed gas. I wonder if you a sealed compartment can be made, and once your runs are over, a bleeder valve of some sort can be opened to releave the gas. Then the case opened.

But still the condensation issue worries me. if that wasn't an issue...I'd have my ass a a school to learn how to weld aluminum and I'd make one right now, that would be a killer mod!

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information