Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

+1

Trailer Tires- Again

Greetings--

More trailer tire issues *sigh* I lost yet another (this makes 4 !!) on the road last week. Tread separated as usual.

A trailer dealer here suggested that I use a pair of 205 wide 10" tires on my double trailer. He said that the extended weight rating (I believe he said 2200# each ??) would most likely fix the problems Im having with the 5.30x12 tires shredding. He said he runs them on his dual axle, 4 ski trailer w/o problems.

Most of the folks I've talked to about this have said that I'm running too close to the tires' C rated limits (1045# each).

Comments on running these 205x10 type tires ?

+1
    Where are you located Piney? We might be shopping @ the same stores. Modica Brothers? I bought the same size tires, not Carlisle, from these guys and have had them both replaced in 2 months from purchase because of tread separation. I had class B tires on this trailer lugging around 2 GPRs, tool box, 4 gas jugs, and never had any problems other than wear over the years. I went with the C for obvious reasons but if I keep the trailer, I am seriously thinking about putting on 14" radials. Of course I would have to put new fender wells on and such, but I would be done with it.

It sounds like you have B rated tires at 1045 lbs limit. I have C rated tires 1350lbs and have had no problems with a couple thousand miles. I can't remember my exact tire size, but I know they sit on 14" rims and the overall diameter is I believe around 20"

I cary 1 rxp 1 gtxsc both full of gas, plus 20 gallons in fuel cans and the trailer box full of crap. I set the cruise at 75 and don't worry about anything.

THE OFFICAL SUPERDUTY!!!!!! superduty's Avatar
    +1
    you want about the heavest duty you can put on. d is a good one if you can get it cause if it goes flat it will still roll
    Last edited by superduty; 08-09-2006 at 10:25 AM.

+1
    Greetings--

The 12" (5.30X12) tires at C rating are 1045#. The larger dia tires (13") up the load rating, but still class C (go figure??) The Class B 12" tires are somthing like 895# rating.

+1
    Watch the air pressure. All tires are rated at that load, AT A CERTAIN TIRE PRESSURE.

If you run a few pounds low, the heat goes up drastically, and shortens the life of the tire.

ANOTHER issue with trailers are axle ratings. This is especially true if you have a pivot style spring, in which the tires move forward and backwards as the tire moves up/down. If you tow a trailer with an undersized axle, with 2 900lb rxpigs on it, then your springs will allow the axle to move out of alignment with the centerline of the trailer... which will make divots on the tires...which will blow them out much faster. In short, upgrade your trailer with the correct spring and axle rating for the skis, gas, and tools that you will carry. The cost will offset itself within 2 tire changes.

+1
    I double trailer was going to come with 10" tires, I had the option to go with 13" rims and tires. I also keep a spare wheel and bearing hub assembly on board.

I'm not a fan of the smaller wheels (10"-12") due to the higher rpms (smaller diameter) they spin especially at highway speeds.

Keep an eye on that tire pressure. that is very very important. Please pay attention to the laod rating on trailer tires.

http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=9463

EZ Dock of Long Island Shibby1485's Avatar
    +1
    i've got a double trailer with two 4-tecs on it .... pretty much the heaviest combo you can have, no?

i have C-rated tired and have not had a problem with any tire yet doing any speed for any distance. have driven from NY to VA with it doing 80+ mph the entire way.

as someone mentioned... tire pressure... how much are you putting in them?

i have the 5.30 X 12 on my triton double

whats your tongue weight like?

+1
    tongue sould be 10-15% of the total weight.

here's a good thread

http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthre...=tongue+weight

+1
    Thanks for all the dialog!! I hate to go drop $$$ on a new trailer when there might be another fix for all this. Although ....a shiney new trailer... humm.... Robin does say she likes shiney things....

The Carslile 5.30x12 C rated tires run at 80 psi. I check them before each run. Ocacsionally one may be 2-3 psi low (air temp difference ??), but I fill it up to 80 before starting out.

Tounge weight is around 200 #. The tounge was riding a little high. I just found and installed a 4" drop hitch that lets it ride just a little low of level. It was riding 2" or so high before. That made a noticable difference and smoothed out the ride.

I have a 3500# axle installed. The MFR replaced the original 2000# one as an attempted fix for the tire issues. Im still not completely convenced that the trailer/axle is aligned correctly.

New Goodyear Marathon 175/80/R13 ST tires with new wheels-- around $ 320+ (3 sets). Mabye that's an answer....

Another concern- adding taller tires-- Can that cause me trouble on low water ramps ?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information