Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

SeaDoo vs Yamaha

I'm a newbie and purchasing our families first PWC to be used at a small lake at our new cottage. Looking at many user and professional reviews, I've narrowed it down to two models, both 2008. Sea-Doo GTI SE 155 and Yamaha FX HO (not cruiser). Although the FX has a much higher list price, I have sourced each at about the same price point (good discount on the GTI and huge discount on the FX). The FX is a much larger machine and has many more cool features. Although I like the stability, I'm concerned about the playfulness. I know the GTI is playful. Is the FX even close? All feedback will be appreciated. Also, I'm assuming they are both very reliable machines, am I correct? (that's why I ruled out the Kawi STX F15). Note: I'm posting the same thread under Yamaha.

Test ride both if you can.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by hfreedman1957 View Post
    I'm a newbie and purchasing our families first PWC to be used at a small lake at our new cottage. Looking at many user and professional reviews, I've narrowed it down to two models, both 2008. Sea-Doo GTI SE 155 and Yamaha FX HO (not cruiser). Although the FX has a much higher list price, I have sourced each at about the same price point (good discount on the GTI and huge discount on the FX). The FX is a much larger machine and has many more cool features. Although I like the stability, I'm concerned about the playfulness. I know the GTI is playful. Is the FX even close? All feedback will be appreciated. Also, I'm assuming they are both very reliable machines, am I correct? (that's why I ruled out the Kawi STX F15). Note: I'm posting the same thread under Yamaha.
    Why do you say the Kawi us not reliable? I thought that ski was as close to bullet proof as you could get.

Kawi Unreliable

Hi Kirk,
    Looking at many user reviews, there were many issues which I guess surrounded quality control at the factor more than engineering flaws. Pieces falling off such as a water hose on a fairly new machine which filled the engine compartment with water and mostly sunk the craft. Water got into the engine and a new engine under warranty. More that one of this occurance. As well, others with stripped screws and parts falling off. Too bad as I am a huge Kawi fan. Owned a 2000 Ninja ZX-9R for several years. Best bike I ever owed by far and yes, as stated, bullet proof. That Ninja engine is the base for the STX so it was the first craft I really looked into. Should I reconsider? There are even better deals on the STX F15. Thanks! - Howard

I'm looking at new non-currents from dealers. I wouldn't think test riding is an option, just like motorcycles.

I wouldn't think test riding is an option, just like motorcycles.
    Depends on the dealer. Many will have demo days during the summer.

Good advise, but probably too late in the season for that now. I want to buy this year and will have to rely on forum feedback. I don't think we'll HATE either one of these.

+1
    Hi Kirk,
    Looking at many user reviews, there were many issues which I guess surrounded quality control at the factor more than engineering flaws. Pieces falling off such as a water hose on a fairly new machine which filled the engine compartment with water and mostly sunk the craft. Water got into the engine and a new engine under warranty. More that one of this occurance. As well, others with stripped screws and parts falling off. Too bad as I am a huge Kawi fan. Owned a 2000 Ninja ZX-9R for several years. Best bike I ever owed by far and yes, as stated, bullet proof. That Ninja engine is the base for the STX so it was the first craft I really looked into. Should I reconsider? There are even better deals on the STX F15. Thanks! - Howard
    Man, not sure. I have talked to at least 4 owners of the 15F and they all love them. I guess I just have not ran into an unsatisfied owner yet.
    I would put a post in the Kawi forum and see what the owners all come back and say. IMO, for the price, you can't beat them.

I'll do just that. Thanks! Here's the one post about that problem if you're interested...
    http://www.powersportsnetwork.com/en...5339&veh=24284

+1
    I'll do just that. Thanks! Here's the one post about that problem if you're interested...
    http://www.powersportsnetwork.com/en...5339&veh=24284
    Hum.
    This could just be one of those things that owners deal with, but should not have to. I know on the RXPX, the first thing I was told by several people was to check the hoses and replace the clamps. I am not sure if this has been an issue with Yamaha; I doubt it has been.....

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information