Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    +1

Important Intercooler Installation Advice

It has come to my attention that those of you who have installed aftermarket intercoolers, RR or Rivas, need to put a water strainer (filter) between the water inlet line and the intercooler. The intercoolers have very small internal water passages that will begin to clog up with the slightest amount or foreign material in the incoming water. (sand, weeds, muck, twigs etc) If the intercooler cloggs up it will ruin your performance or worse yet cause an overheating problem.

There are many kinds of water strainers available. Some are pure shit and can bust open and flood the engine compartment. We have had great luck with the strainers made by Groco. We use the WSB-750 model with 3/4 inch NPT ports. It is constructed of nylon with a clear bowl to view the filter and pressure rated to 150psi. They are available thru Groco or at West Marine. Retail is $34.

It is VERY IMPORTANT for all to use a water strainer before the intercooler !!!

Richard

+1
    I HATE to have to recommend West Marine as a source for products since they actively support the Blue Water Network.....these are the people who try to ban and put restrictions on PWC use any chance they get !! Better to order strainers from Groco direct than to get them from West Marine. Every bit of business we take away from them is money they can't donate to groups who dislike PWC !!.

Richard

+1
    Richard, thats damn good info!

Great advice way2fast. I just ordered one from Groco direct.Web address and part # below.They also make one for saltwater.

Groco.net
    part # WSB-750

That was some great info Richard. That is also weird that West Marine carries PWC parts and at the same time are not in favor of them. HMmmm funny "Let's take your money and use it to help fight you"

Question for Richard:

Does gthe stock intercooler have a strainer?

If not why? and would it be easy to install one as a preventative sort of measure?

+1
    I have always installed strainers on every PWC I have owned. I had a few mishaps using some of the garbage strainers sold "for PWC." The Groco's have performed flawlessly. They are stronger and have a much larger filter net area than the others.

Strainers are really important on engines that have an open loop cooling system. The engine blocks and heads have lots of small passages that can clog up. They would not be needed on the 4-tec engines because there are no very small passages in the exhaust system that might easily be clogged with debris. BUT on intercooled 4-tec engines they are necessary. The intercooler is like a radiator and it can and will slowly clog up. It may take a while, but it will be loosing efficiency slowly but surely.

You would be surprised with the collection of shit you will find in the strainer, even when you thought the water where you use your ski was clean!

Richard

Yeah that's true! There's stuff in the lake that I wouldn't wanna know about!

Would anyone who has one installed be willing to snap a few pictures to show how to install this?

It sounds like a cheap insurance policy to me.........

I will do this, but will need a bit of advice on how to install

Has anybody had any problems with over heating? I know someone who is having this problem (Stage 2) and also told him to get a strainer. He has tried to blow out the intercooler with water and air but still hasn't seen anything unusual come out. The high temp alarm went off on high speed runs at first and has gotten worse over time now happening at slower speeds. He is going to run the ski again and see what happens.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information