Just want to ride.
    +1

Defective Speedo Help? (+ Lesson Learned)

I ruined the display in my wife's ski by not being more thorough in my search for the problem I detailed last month (display acting erratic, like restarting). I checked the battery (even checked/filled water levels); that wasn't the problem. I thought I had a bad start/stop switch, but after disassemble and reassemble, same problem. Checked all 5 plugs from display for fit; no trouble there. Next time on the water, the display completely died. I ordered a replacement and it arrived last Friday. Plug in grey (ECM feed) and test; perfect! I do the reinstall/assemble, and I blip the start/stop afterward (but only for a second, to verify display lights up) and it's fine. Problem solved.

Saturday, at the launch, I start the ski on the trailer to warm up - same freaking thing happens!!!!! Display goes crazy; resetting/beeping/etc! [email protected]#$^%^

So, I disconnect all but the ECM and run the ski for a bit - perfect. One by one, I reconnect fuel (no trouble); oil (again, fine) and the buzzer (it works). NOT ONE HICCUP - then, the speedo cable - viola - my frigging problem! Display goes crazy again (this is stopped, on the trailer, wherever now).

2 things - anyone been through a bad speedo? It looks like there's a disconnect in the back, just above the ride plate (where the wire enters the back of the hull) - is this a break point? I haven't had time to go back and try to troubleshoot any more since Saturday.

Also - the lesson learned. The $430 lesson learned. When something goes haywire - disconnect it all, and work backward from there! I felt like the biggest idiot in Washington at the boat launch on Saturday, with the ski going nuts again on the trailer after I 'fixed' it on Friday night.

As always, thanks for any help or tips!

Sean

+1
    No there is no disconnect back there the wire goes all the way up to the guage and is connected right there at the guage where you unplugged it to test it.

+1
    Damn, didnt see that one.

I would give you mine, but I cut the cable about a year ago.

Just want to ride.
    +1
    Thanks for the offer Rich,

It's a solid cable from the sensor to the display? There's a part # for the speed sensor, and another for the 'connector cable' back there. I'll be taking this apart tonight, but I wondered if there's a join at the hull for the cable?

1400r says 1 piece, and I don't want to dispute, but I can't figure out what the other part # is for?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by washingtonrider
    Thanks for the offer Rich,

It's a solid cable from the sensor to the display? There's a part # for the speed sensor, and another for the 'connector cable' back there. I'll be taking this apart tonight, but I wondered if there's a join at the hull for the cable?

1400r says 1 piece, and I don't want to dispute, but I can't figure out what the other part # is for?
    I always thought it was one piece too. Maybe the cable is one part, and the sensor is sold seperately?

+1
    50GJ1-U8K31-02-00 SENSOR SPEED
    This part has been replaced by [GJ1-U8K31-03-00] and may be substituted.

Looks like this covers all the pieces.

+1
    Is it possible that the cable comes with the through hull fitting thats maybe the other part included.... maybe just a thought.

i just bought one of these yes it comes with the thru hull fitting cable and a new sensor

Thread Information