Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Cowl Induction

32 Valves To Love! Racecar_Dave's Avatar
    +1

Cowl Induction

Check it out, took a NACA duct I wasnt using and stuck it under my windscreen.

NOW THIS SUCKER WORKS!!!

If I have empty waterbottles in my bucket it blows them around, makes all kinds of racket.

So how can I get more air into it? Anybody with any tricks? I thought about putting washers underneith the allen bolts but that didnt look like it would work. It looks like the CF windscreens are the exact same dimensions/design as the plastic one.

+1
    Hate to say it, but this experiment has been done many times and doesn't work. But that doesn't mean it ain't cool looking!

pish windscreens are overrated

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by fullboogie View Post
    Hate to say it, but this experiment has been done many times and doesn't work. But that doesn't mean it ain't cool looking!
    Yeah it works. my empty water bottles werent blowing around in my bucket before

It also could be that i have a HUGE cutout in my bucket. I stuck my old K&N from my M3 in it so it could be pulling a bigger suction than a couple of 2" holes.

Nothin' runs like a Deere IowanGPR's Avatar
    racecar dave,

if i were you i would believe the guy when he says something. one of the guys who's been on this site the longest. a guy who has seen nearly everything. it may be blowing air into bucket but that doesn't mean it is giving you better performance. it has been proven by riding with your seat off ( giving a lot more air!) does not improve speed.

just advice here.

+1
    Just trying to help, Dave. I did this years ago and tested all morning back to back, hole open and hole plugged. Zero difference in rpm or speed. It just doesn't work. But like I said, it may look cool which is ok - makes your ski different.

+1
    didnt do it for rpm and speed. never even thought of that. dont have a tch or gps dont even have a reason why i did it. bored maybe.

If there is no good that comes from feeding the engine compartment with more, somewhat cooler, air why do people cut the buckets? Why do people open up the fairings? Why does RIVA sell cowl induction hoods for the kawis and the seadoos? Why do people cut holes to evacuate hot air? Why did BRUCE go so far as to even put NASCAR brake duct fans to evacuate the air on his gprsho? I'm confused

No disrespect BTW, just a little curious as to why people still continue to do this.

The GPR, in stock form, does need more air than the stock openings give it.

Cutting the cowl on the second side helps get some more air in there.

You can see that it is trying to get more air if you have your GPR on a trailer and you hit the throttle. The seat cover gets sucked down.

However, as with any engine, once you have enough air easily entering the air intake, additional air in the engine bay will do nothing. The engine only sucks as much air as it sucks. When it has all the air it can take in easily accessible to it, additional openings do nothing.

Opening up the side cowling will provide extra air. I know of some people who also open the holes by the seat.

Forced air induction, at least on the GPRs has been tried. The results have not shown any improvement.

Testing is what it is all about. Maybe you will find a system that has not been tried. Maybe you will find a way to get massive RPMs from your air inductions system. I doubt it, but if you do, please post the results.

Never stop experimenting... that is how the next innovation comes about.

Nothin' runs like a Deere IowanGPR's Avatar
    dave, my bucket is cut full of holes to be honest.

I think there is some benefit to opening these things up but there was some discussion on turbulence being a factor in the intake of air to the TBs

and why does anyone sell any parts on here? $$

you will find some 'mods' that aren't worth the pricetag.

+1
    i ran back to back with numerous combinations of air opening inc forced air from a motor back in 06 and recorded revs with 2 x pet 2100....
    there is no real gain after cutting the side covers to match the other side,a simple way to satisfy your modding bug is remove the seat with the left and right cover opened and cut bucket installed....no gain in rpm with seat off...you cant get more of an air opening than that i tried and tried to get more air in and failed,
    some have run with no windscrean or with it lifted with two washers this i did not try and cant see anygain IF running with seat off does not yeild gains,plus its not a real life every day situation with screan removed..

not trying to piss on anyones bonfire just trying to save you gas and time,

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information