Exclamation 2004 RXP Took on water almost sank

So I took my ski out (2004 Seadoo RXP Stock but did the supercharger rebuild). I've never had any problems with it i bought it used with 125 hours its got 180 now just did the rebuild at 172 and yes amazingly the washer were intact when I did it. So i get out of the marina and ride for about 10 minutes when i hit a wave and fall off was only doing about 30 mph just caught a wave wrong on a turn. Anyways i fell off got back on it started it up and went to go but it was like i had it in neutral. I tried reverse then back to forward and still it just sat there and bubbled like if you gave it gas in neutral. So instanly i pulled the key poped the seat and saw about 2 inches of water. then 4.... then 6... but i couldnt tell were it was coming from after swimming with it tied on a rope to my life jacket for a pretty long time a boat stopped to help me. When i got it to the launch i pulled it up outta the water on my trailer and NONE of the water drained from the engine bay untill i pulled the plugs in the back. So my question is how does water come in but not go out? the seadoo dealer found a broken waterbox so i'm going to get the pro series waterbox and the thru hull exhaust for it along with the opas system. All of this is barely more expensive then the oem waterbox and the insulation. Any thoughts on what would cause this or why water came in but wouldnt drain out?
    By the way the engines good says the dealers and the superchargers good since i didnt start it once i saw the 2 inches of water, so least thats good news. Any help is greatly appreciated!

+1
    Check the Carbon ring on the drive shaft, I had a circle clip break that holds the support ring against the carbon ring... it moved foreward away from the carbon ring and the unit filled with water. When I got it on the trailer most of the water drained out... Good Luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Redspider View Post
    the seadoo dealer found a broken waterbox
    Any more info on what the dealer found? - Possibly a broken exhaust hose/clamp that was leeking?

So I took my ski out (2004 Seadoo RXP Stock but did the supercharger rebuild). I've never had any problems with it i bought it used with 125 hours its got 180 now just did the rebuild at 172 and yes amazingly the washer were intact when I did it. So i get out of the marina and ride for about 10 minutes when i hit a wave and fall off was only doing about 30 mph just caught a wave wrong on a turn. Anyways i fell off got back on it started it up and went to go but it was like i had it in neutral. I tried reverse then back to forward and still it just sat there and bubbled like if you gave it gas in neutral. So instanly i pulled the key poped the seat and saw about 2 inches of water. then 4.... then 6... but i couldnt tell were it was coming from after swimming with it tied on a rope to my life jacket for a pretty long time a boat stopped to help me. When i got it to the launch i pulled it up outta the water on my trailer and NONE of the water drained from the engine bay untill i pulled the plugs in the back. So my question is how does water come in but not go out? the seadoo dealer found a broken waterbox so i'm going to get the pro series waterbox and the thru hull exhaust for it along with the opas system. All of this is barely more expensive then the oem waterbox and the insulation. Any thoughts on what would cause this or why water came in but wouldnt drain out?
    By the way the engines good says the dealers and the superchargers good since i didnt start it once i saw the 2 inches of water, so least thats good news. Any help is greatly appreciated!
    If the dealer found a broken waterbox like you mentioned then this may have been the culprit.

2004 rxp

Well I ordered...

Riva Pro Series OPAS Block Off's
    RIVA Sea-Doo Rear Exhaust Outlet Kit
    Exhaust Coupler Kit for Riva Water Box (RXP and RXT)
    RIVA Pro Series Water Box for 07 and Older Mode

Anywhere wanted like $600 for the oem waterbox + 120 for each peice of insulation and I would have needed two. Would have been $840 at least. So $780 later hopefully this will fix the problem parts should be here within a few days got them off 4-tech performance. Not to mention it should sound pretty nice haha. I'll post the results. Ty for the input

Faster Than a Snail on a Log mongorunner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by oldnick View Post
    Check the Carbon ring on the drive shaft, I had a circle clip break that holds the support ring against the carbon ring... it moved foreward away from the carbon ring and the unit filled with water. When I got it on the trailer most of the water drained out... Good Luck!

you didn't read his thread at all did you?

did the dealership show you the waterbox?

Doo'n it on the Lake ... GTXDawg's Avatar
    So my question is how does water come in but not go out? the seadoo dealer found a broken waterbox ...
    broken waterbox most likely the primary culprit - as BT stated earlier - but ask (ie, make) the dealer to show you where the break is.

2004 rxp

I saw the box the day it happened, It honestly looked like it blew out the insulation was just gone. It had been overheating every now and then if i REALLY got on it... Turns out it was the sensor on the waterbox telling me it was way to hot. Two dealers couldn't tell me why, they just figured I needed to change my antifreeze. Either way i needed a new water box and this was the cheapest solution and a nice little upgrade. Once i get the parts in I/they will install them and see if that fixes it since i cant turn it on without a waterbox, if not will find out when we put it back in the water haha. Definitely getting a bilge pump before i bring it out again, one moment of my life I'd rather not relive. The kit on 4tec looks promissing.

Thread Information