Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thumbs down So I sunk my ski...whats the damage?

Ok so yesterday I went out on the river. The ski ran awesome for an hour, and I even got a max of 63.6, with the dplate and jetworks. Later on we went to the dock, and then went out on the lake (my dad + cousin on boat) THe ski ran fine, but it was very choppy and windy on the lake.

We were out there around 15 minutes, and then desided to head back because I was low on gas. My dad turns around and starts heading the other way, and as I start to follow the ski boggs out bad and stops. I check under the seat and there is smoke coming out from the bottom of the hull from between the stinger, and the cylinders. A minute later, I checked again, and the water was rising fast in the hull and the footwells.

By the time my dad had come back I had to sit on the handlebars, so that I did not float in the alligator infested water... On the trailer, I started up the motor twice. And on the second time it just shut off...

So, I will be taking the ski to a local guy in hopes of getting it fixed...
    Anyone have an idea how much damage was done, and how much it would cost? BTW the entire back of the ski was underwater.

+1
    Damn dude that sucks if a dealer or jetski guy fixes it it will probally going to be expensive. Is it possible when the jetworks mod as done a hose was left loose? You could try taking the spark plugs out and rolling the motor over til the water stops comming out of the spark plug holes. Then put in new plugs and try to fire it up. I will probally run. But you need to make sure all the water is out of the spark plug holes before you try to start it up. Then you are going to have to find out where all the water came from.

Gook luck

Thanx. I will do that...
    It was running vary good on the river, and then when I go to the middle of the humungous lake, it shuts off on me...
    I thought I was gonna be eaten alive, there are thousands of gators in there.

You need to get the water out of that engine NOW or you're in for an expensive rebuild including replacing the crank! Pull the plugs out and turn it over while holding your finger or a rag over the plug hole and then letting it off to pull the water out thru the plug hole. Once you get as much water out as possible, fire it up. You need to run the hell out of it and get it good and hot to burn the water out of the crankcase. If you leave it sitting, the crank will rust SOON.

+1
    I agree with Voodoo. Get that motor fired up, if possible. Nothing better than oil on machined steel surfaces.

Hope it's still OK

THE PLATE MAN JIM'S PERFORMANCE's Avatar
    +1
    What happened an exuast hose come out.

I cranked it over a few times, and only drops of water came out. Put the plugs back, and it fired up. The hose from the pump to the JW valve came off, on the inside, and also the hose off of the ss box. It seems like I might have a gas leak, because when I started it up fumes/smoke came up from the botom of the hull/under stinger.

just GOT TO DO IT! great lakes gpr 1200's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PuprleNuprleGPR
    I cranked it over a few times, and only drops of water came out. Put the plugs back, and it fired up. The hose from the pump to the JW valve came off, on the inside, and also the hose off of the ss box. It seems like I might have a gas leak, because when I started it up fumes/smoke came up from the botom of the hull/under stinger.
    That's just water and oil burning off.. my bet.
    You must be careful you don't overtighen clamps too. that will make them bad, it strips the worm gear.

+1
    Well sounds like you found your problem fix the hoses and dont worry about the smell it's probally water and oil burning off the motor, Sounds like you got it fix go back out and enjoy your ski.....

Sorry to hear this. This is the 3rd ski that I know of including mine that sank from the jetworks supply hose breaking or coming loose. Mine cause the sound suppression to melt, and I just barley made it to land. Will waiting a huge gator was 20ft from use in the water glad I made it to land even though it was marsh land
    I worked all night rolling the engine over to pump out all the water and finally got it running. Its ran great since.
    Last edited by Ronn25; 08-09-2006 at 06:53 PM.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information