Just replaced my fuel lines, how do I start this thing? ALSO CHECK YOUR STOCK LINES!

Hey guys, per someones suggestion I checked the condition of my stock fuel lines on my 96 GSX and was shocked to find out that some of them were cracked and leaking fuel, and some of them had gummy buildup near the end.

I pulled the lines off one at a time, and replaced them with 1/4" fuel line from the auto parts store. The factory line is 6mm, this stuff is 6.3mm, with a clamp it has to be good enough. Anyways, I pulled off the fuel selector switch too and sprayed some Berryman's carb cleaner in there, and moved it to the different positions. I also removed the fuel filter, cleaned the cannister for it, and put a new fuel filter in. I got everything back in working order, then tackled the jet pump oil. It was actually pretty simple, the only problem I had was getting those 2 little O-rings to stick at the top of the housing so I put a tiny dab of silicone on them, and it worked like a charm.

Anyways, I want to get this thing started before I put it in the water, since if there are any fuel leaks or problems I would like to find them beforehand. I know I can hook up a hose to it and run water through it, but how? Also, since these lines are all new there is no gas in them, how do I prime the lines or do I just crank it til it starts? How long can it run on the trailer, and can I rev it at all? Since there was a bit of buildup in the lines, is there any kind of fuel system cleaner I can run through it to clean it out? It ran fine yesterday so I don't think there is anything in there, but you never know. I'm not comfortable enough with this thing yet to pull the carbs apart.

Also, while the rear end was apart I looked in there at the wear ring. It seems to be in pretty good shape and smooth for the most part, however on the lower left side there were some small scratches / gouges in it. Are those anything to worry about?

Thanks guys! Sorry for all the questions!

PS, I'm new, but so far this looks like a great place!

Warner Robins, GA Home of the 2007 All-Star Little League World Champions!
    Welcome! To prime, remove the return fuel line off the rear carb. Turn your gas on. Place a small cup or rag beneath the exposed hose barb on the carb. Lightly and slowly pressurize the hose with air....until fuel starts coming out of the barb. Your carbs are then full of fuel. Reattach hose and start.

I don't know if GSX's had a flush hose connection in the rear of the ski. Look for a white tee in the cooling hose close to the engine. If there, you flush through this tee. The hose must be pinched off between it and the rear, to force water into the engine. The procedure for flushing, no matter where it connects, is: start engine, turn on water, turn off water, then blow out residual, then turn engine off. You need to dribble water on the carbon ring seal of the driveshaft too. Otherwise it will overheat and stop sealing.

You need to take carbs off, potential rebuild, and clean out internal filters before you start your motor. Your carbs are probably full of the gunk you saw in your old lines.

+1
    +1 to 96XPSS on how to run your boat on the hose.

+1 on cleaning out the rest of the fuel system.

The GSX should have the hose fitting on the water outlet. Our old '97 GS did.

This is for a '96 GSX and if they had them in '96 they had them after. The tube is on that big plate right in the middle of the pic.
    http://partsfinder.onlinemicrofiche....e=13&A=36&B=12

There will be a tube sticking out of the plate the pump is bolted to (just above the pump and to the left of it) and it will have threads on the inside of of it.

You can screw a hose right into it but getting it back out can be a real PITA. I get the garden hose quick disconnect fittings from a hardware store (even Wally world has them) and put a male/male in the tube and a female/female on the hose. I also get an on/off switch so I can control the water right there at the back of the boat.

Quote Originally Posted by 96XPSS View Post
    Welcome! To prime, remove the return fuel line off the rear carb. Turn your gas on. Place a small cup or rag beneath the exposed hose barb on the carb. Lightly and slowly pressurize the hose with air....until fuel starts coming out of the barb. Your carbs are then full of fuel. Reattach hose and start.

I don't know if GSX's had a flush hose connection in the rear of the ski. Look for a white tee in the cooling hose close to the engine. If there, you flush through this tee. The hose must be pinched off between it and the rear, to force water into the engine. The procedure for flushing, no matter where it connects, is: start engine, turn on water, turn off water, then blow out residual, then turn engine off. You need to dribble water on the carbon ring seal of the driveshaft too. Otherwise it will overheat and stop sealing.
    Thanks! Again, pardon my ignorance, but which one is the return line? Is it those lines with the Y shaped fitting on the back? I sure hope so, the other carb lines are a pain!

Quote Originally Posted by Seapoo View Post
    You need to take carbs off, potential rebuild, and clean out internal filters before you start your motor. Your carbs are probably full of the gunk you saw in your old lines.
    My carbs were just cleaned a month ago and the thing has been hardly ran since. It runs great and I did clean the fittings, and with new lines and a new filter I'm hoping I am ok.

Can I rev the engine at all or do I just let it idle?

Thanks a million guys! Great forum!

+1
    You can rev it some but do not get carried away. With no load it will rip up to the rev limiter in a heartbeat. Just blip the throttle some.

I was getting worried for a second, I was blowing into the return line for like 15 min, no fuel was coming out. I kept thinking "shoot I fecked something up!" and then I realized I am retarded, and I forgot to turn the gas on

Anyways, I hooked a hose up to the back with a valve on it, fired the jet ski up, and turned it on with gentle pressure. I sprayed water all over the back of it and inside the impeller first, I only wanted to run it for 15 seconds or so. Anyways, she fired right up, then died. I started it again, it was harder to start this time but I got it going, this time with no issues. I revved it gently for a few seconds, and then shut it off. I'm assuming it stalled due to an air bubble or something like that in the fuel line.

I'm putting it back in the water tomorrow, hopefully all is well! Thanks guys!

+1
    If you are starting it for less than 30 to 40 seconds you do not need to put it on the hose (that is from a completely cold engine, if the engine is already warm then take that into consideration). On the hose you have a five minute limit on the shaft seal. If the pump and drive shaft are off of it you can run it as long as it has gas. Allow for cooling of the engine and seal between hose runs if you need to make mulitples (about an hour and keep in mind, the engine will get hotter after you turn it and the water off). You can extend your run time by putting cooling water on the shaft seal. This can be either poured/sprayed into the hull (not the best solution and care must be taken) or another hose can be directed to spray up onto the shaft seal from the bottom.

If you go to the trouble of hooking up the hose then go ahead and run her a couple of minutes and let it get warmed up.

I run the water on low pressure so it can build up some heat but you go full blast if you need to. Water hose pressure is not as high as operating pressure from the jet pump.

Thread Information