Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 93
  1. #1
    gmoeller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Hermosa Beach, Calif
    Posts
    1,450
    +1
    9

    FZR Riva stage 1 with 13/22r DF: 67.3 GPS

    Went to Lake Havasu this weekend to do some riding with the new mods. Air 109-111 degrees, water temp 85. Took me about 8 runs to get 67.3 (all other runs were between 65.7 and 66.9), then I got on my buddy's new STOCK FZR and ran his 66.5 on first run. WTF.
    My ski definately has better hookup and power out of the hole and through the mid range as compared to stock, it just seemed like I was having to work way too hard to get above even 66 mph as we rode for the 3 days that we were there. We didn't have perfect conditions by any means, but we did have a few good open runs, enough to get an indication of speeds at a given condition. RPM's were around 7600. The ski ran great, I was just hoping for more top end. Maybe my size (6'7", 245 lbs) has something to do with it, I don't know.
    I would like to be in the 70 - 72 mph range and I thought I would be there with these mods. I was stoked with the holeshot and midrange power up to 63 ish mph, I was just hoping for more top speed.
    After sending Jerry a few emails, Jerry suggested I take out the shim between the rideplate and hull and I actually pulled my ski out on the last day, laying there in the asphalt parking lot, 110 fricken degrees, trying to pull the ride plate off and take the shims out but gave up when it became apparent that it wasn't just undoing 4 bolts, and my back was beginning to fricken blister from the heat.

    I guess I gotta keep modding....
    What's it gonna take to get me into the 70 - 72 range now?

    Jerry, sorry for the emails from Havasu. I promise I will never send you another email while sober.


  2. #2
    OCFZR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Foothill Ranch, Ca
    Posts
    200
    I'll be testing the exact same mods this weekend at Lake mohave! I tested my ski last weekend in 110 heat with the same mods minus the impeller - was running the stocker. I was all over the rev limiter at max 7720 rpms. I think anything over 7650 makes the rev limiters kick in. My ski seemed slower than stock and was flat from 3/4 throttle to wide open. I will test the 13/22r this weekend! Riva states 70 -71 at 7600 rpms w/ stage 1!

  3. #3
    gmoeller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Hermosa Beach, Calif
    Posts
    1,450
    +1
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by OCFZR View Post
    I'll be testing the exact same mods this weekend at Lake mohave! I tested my ski last weekend in 110 heat with the same mods minus the impeller - was running the stocker. I was all over the rev limiter at max 7720 rpms. I think anything over 7650 makes the rev limiters kick in. My ski seemed slower than stock and was flat from 3/4 throttle to wide open. I will test the 13/22r this weekend! Riva states 70 -71 at 7600 rpms w/ stage 1!
    Yeah, I was hoping for that 70 - 71 stated by Riva. I will look forward to your results as you will have the exact same conditions. I think you will definately feel the holeshot and midrange power diff. Now about top end....?

  4. #4
    FRANKY G's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    U.S. Riverside Ca.
    Posts
    279
    Man, that's the same setup I'm planning to do. I want to be in the low 70s too with the Riva Stage 1. That's not good and the thing is that we need these mods to be able to move to the next level. I'll be heading to Black Meadows Landing near Lake Havasu for Labor Day weekend. I won't have the Riva stage 1 on, just the intake grate. I'll see what #s I get. This will be the first time I'll be riding my FZR. I can't wait to see what this animal feels like.

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    melrose ma
    Posts
    411
    it was 100+ the intercooler was heat soaked and it kept you from getting any gains from what you did to the boat......with your mods you suck more air and ........its super hot on the baby intercooler......just my opinion

  6. #6
    CHICKA WAH WAH bren's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Cairns, Australia
    Posts
    595
    naaaaaaaaa they just got punk'd by riva again lol

    anyone who states a speed for a kit is not doin their homework well enough for three dimensional variables.

    but what would I know

  7. #7
    OCFZR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Foothill Ranch, Ca
    Posts
    200
    I realize the extreme heat comes into play but we are turning the RPM's!. I was turning 7720 RPM's (PET tach) in 110 degree heat with all stage 1 mods and stock impeller. I will see what happens with the 13/22r this weekend. Should be identical conditions.
    Last edited by OCFZR; 08-12-2009 at 09:53 AM. Reason: spelling

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by gmoeller View Post
    Went to Lake Havasu this weekend to do some riding with the new mods. Air 109-111 degrees, water temp 85. Took me about 8 runs to get 67.3 (all other runs were between 65.7 and 66.9), then I got on my buddy's new STOCK FZR and ran his 66.5 on first run. WTF.
    My ski definately has better hookup and power out of the hole and through the mid range as compared to stock, it just seemed like I was having to work way too hard to get above even 66 mph as we rode for the 3 days that we were there. We didn't have perfect conditions by any means, but we did have a few good open runs, enough to get an indication of speeds at a given condition. RPM's were around 7600. The ski ran great, I was just hoping for more top end. Maybe my size (6'7", 245 lbs) has something to do with it, I don't know.
    I would like to be in the 70 - 72 mph range and I thought I would be there with these mods. I was stoked with the holeshot and midrange power up to 63 ish mph, I was just hoping for more top speed.
    After sending Jerry a few emails, Jerry suggested I take out the shim between the rideplate and hull and I actually pulled my ski out on the last day, laying there in the asphalt parking lot, 110 fricken degrees, trying to pull the ride plate off and take the shims out but gave up when it became apparent that it wasn't just undoing 4 bolts, and my back was beginning to fricken blister from the heat.

    I guess I gotta keep modding....
    What's it gonna take to get me into the 70 - 72 range now?

    Jerry, sorry for the emails from Havasu. I promise I will never send you another email while sober.
    you are going to need a s/c wheel which is also sold by Riva but keep in mind if you go with Riva's wheel B1 or E1 you also will need their ECU when avil in order for you to get the proper gains for these wheels. you can go with a s/c wheel c-1 c-3 from R&D to get where u want to be speed wise low 70's and not have to run an aftermarket ECU but you will also want to upgrade your stock intercooler add a blow off value and a prop. the out the box speeds for the fz's are pretty stout you will see any where from 66 to 69 but because of larger pump tunnel (which is better for hook up) your speeds per mod may seem not what you would hope for. but one thing is for sure as i am sure you have read in this forum the FZ's have alot of avil mod's to make them go well over 80 so it's just a questions on dishing out the $'s and how fast ya want to go....good luck and enjoy

  9. #9
    JD 1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    St. Louis, MO
    Posts
    4,186
    +1
    90
    you need a air intake with 100% fresh air so the IC doesnt have to work so hard. It will make over a 100RPM diff and add some vents to the engine compartment.

    this can help


    http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthre...52#post1169952

  10. #10
    gmoeller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Hermosa Beach, Calif
    Posts
    1,450
    +1
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by fxshostopper View Post
    you are going to need a s/c wheel which is also sold by Riva but keep in mind if you go with Riva's wheel B1 or E1 you also will need their ECU when avil in order for you to get the proper gains for these wheels. you can go with a s/c wheel c-1 c-3 from R&D to get where u want to be speed wise low 70's and not have to run an aftermarket ECU but you will also want to upgrade your stock intercooler add a blow off value and a prop. the out the box speeds for the fz's are pretty stout you will see any where from 66 to 69 but because of larger pump tunnel (which is better for hook up) your speeds per mod may seem not what you would hope for. but one thing is for sure as i am sure you have read in this forum the FZ's have alot of avil mod's to make them go well over 80 so it's just a questions on dishing out the $'s and how fast ya want to go....good luck and enjoy
    Thanks for taking the time fxshostopper.....
    My curiosity is the fact that Riva claims 70-71 with stage one. I'd be happy at 71-72. Right now I'm 4-5 mph below my goal while already adding the Riva Stage 1 with their recommended prop. If I do the wheel, intercooler upgrade and bov from R&D, OR.. The Riva ecu with s/c wheel with BOV, How are we sure we'll get to 72 mph?
    Yeah, I know, there are no gaurantees in life. Its just that for those of us who are expecting a certain result from certain mods (as claimed by Riva) and not getting them, how can we expect the NEXT mod to have a different result than the first go 'round. It sure seems like 5 mph more is a long way away.....
    I don't mind spending the money if I get the results. I just want the "claimed" results.

    And I do love this ski....

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. FZR - can I run Riva stage III with OEM ECU !?!?
    By Ale in forum Yamaha PWC Performance (4-stroke)
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 04-03-2014, 11:31 AM
  2. Yam FZR Riva stage 3+ with Athena Pro ecu problems
    By pearny in forum Yamaha PWC Performance (4-stroke)
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-31-2014, 06:40 PM
  3. Riva Stage II with Waterbox Mod
    By johnD in forum 4-Tec Performance
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 02-23-2006, 11:16 PM
  4. Anybody Run a Riva Stage I with the Stock Prop?
    By Sirhc7897 in forum 4-Tec Performance
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 02-01-2006, 12:18 PM
  5. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-14-2005, 09:38 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •