Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

97 GTX won't go over 6000 RPM

Hello all

I have a 97 GTX that is giving me fits. I had a bad hesitation at 5000 RPM, and thought it was the RAVE valves sticking. Cleaned them all up, still had a hesitation at 5000 RPM. So then I replaced all the fuel lines, cleaned fuel selector, cleaned fuel filters in carbs, and clipped back the plug wires. I found that if I screw in the RAVE adjusters all the way in, the hesitation is not as bad (just stops at 5000 RPM for a second or so). I can live with that (almost). But my next problem is that after the pause or hesitation, the RPM only shoots up to 6000 and stays there. It runs there all day, no bogging or RPM dropping. I made sure my throttle is opening fully, I tested the rectifier using the red wire trick, but still she only goes to 6000. The WR looks good (no leaks), so does anyone have any suggestions on what to look at next?

Do a plug chop at WOT for 10 seconds and post your results.

Ok, did that. Both plugs look a bit black and oily on the outside rim, the middle is brownish.

Could be faulty water regulator.

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    you'll want to have a look at the water regulator valve..make sure it's getting water.

there's always the chance your tach is way off

It's a given I won't ask many questions about the carbs...who wants to take those off again right now anyway...there are a few other avenues to check before that happens.

Is there a good way to test the WR? I don't really want to shell out $170 for a new one if thats not it.

Warner Robins, GA Home of the 2007 All-Star Little League World Champions!
    Quote Originally Posted by dachrist View Post
    Hello all

I have a 97 GTX that is giving me fits. I had a bad hesitation at 5000 RPM, and thought it was the RAVE valves sticking. Cleaned them all up, still had a hesitation at 5000 RPM. So then I replaced all the fuel lines, cleaned fuel selector, cleaned fuel filters in carbs, and clipped back the plug wires. I found that if I screw in the RAVE adjusters all the way in, the hesitation is not as bad (just stops at 5000 RPM for a second or so). I can live with that (almost). But my next problem is that after the pause or hesitation, the RPM only shoots up to 6000 and stays there. It runs there all day, no bogging or RPM dropping. I made sure my throttle is opening fully, I tested the rectifier using the red wire trick, but still she only goes to 6000. The WR looks good (no leaks), so does anyone have any suggestions on what to look at next?
    Unfortunately you will always have that small hesitation...just a characteristic of this hull and engine. You already nailed what to doo to minimize it.

Run your ski without the seat. Get something to pinch off the water hose going to your midpipe. If your rpms don't go up, then it isn't the WRV.

I would then believe your RAVES aren't opening all the way because you have them screwed all the way down.

Like I said, the hesitation is always going to be there. It is the transition of the RAVES opening.

Welcome to GH!

+1
    We had that problem with our previous 1997 GTX and it was due to the fuel lines being hooked up incorrectly. If you look at the top of the fuel baffle with a mirror, it tells you which fuel line goes where. You can access this by taking out the glove box, but if you have changed the lines, you would know this.

Also, check the o-ring on the front fuel filter to make sure it is seated properly.

Actually, I just ran into a problem with our current 1996 GTX running the proper RPM's but being down 5mph. It was due to an incorrect impellor. You might want to verify which impellor you have in there.

Quote Originally Posted by 96XPSS View Post
    Unfortunately you will always have that small hesitation...just a characteristic of this hull and engine. You already nailed what to doo to minimize it.

Run your ski without the seat. Get something to pinch off the water hose going to your midpipe. If your rpms don't go up, then it isn't the WRV.

I would then believe your RAVES aren't opening all the way because you have them screwed all the way down.

Like I said, the hesitation is always going to be there. It is the transition of the RAVES opening.

Welcome to GH!
    Do you mean the hose that runs from the WR to the exhaust pipe above the carbs? I thought that was strictly for cooling the pipe itself, and the main water that gets directed by the WR is into the muffler under the WR? Or do you mean pinch off the supply hose to the WR?

Warner Robins, GA Home of the 2007 All-Star Little League World Champions!
    Quote Originally Posted by dachrist View Post
    Do you mean the hose that runs from the WR to the exhaust pipe above the carbs? I thought that was strictly for cooling the pipe itself, and the main water that gets directed by the WR is into the muffler under the WR? Or do you mean pinch off the supply hose to the WR?
    What? The hose from the headpipe flange should be a pisser out the rear of the ski, an is not Connected to the WRV. The midpipe is where it should be...look around the front of the engine. Midpipe equals middle of the pipe...FYI.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information