Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: where to start?

Question where to start?

ok ya'll im new to this pwc deal. i bought my waverunner just a couple of months ago. i have an 09 fzs and in my opinion, IT'S FAST. after reading ya'lls posts however i realized its just kind of fast. i dont have any exact figures on the top speed but from what i have read on previous posts im probably only pushing 67mph at best since im running a stock ski. i was wondering what a good starting point would be to get a little more out of it. i was thinking about starting with a ride plate and intake grate but after reading up on the forum im not sure what i should do. could ya'll help point me in the right direction?
    thanks, rich

+1
    You have to do the intake grate first for safety reasons.

After that I'd do the intake manifold upgrage.

From this point on it's about how much $$$ and how fast?

thanks man. and right now im definitely about spending as little as possible. i just read a post by ercboosted that said he gained 2.5 mph just by removing some foam and trimming his ride plate. so quick ? is the speed regulated by a limiter on these things or is that just all she'll do with the factory parts on b/c if so i will definitely try his tip before dropping some cash into it.

+1
    You will save a ton of time reading Jerry's buildup on his FZR (titled Green Hulk's FZR build up). Then, like I do, go back and read it again about every day or so when you have a question as it's probably covered in that thread.

Also, search this forum. It will take some time to learn but your time will be well spent.

The build by ercboosted is interesting to me for different reasons but mainly because he went with a MoTeC earlier than most do.

Oh, and welcome to the forum!

hey Rich, welcome to GH. I am about where you are. stock fz, what to do. I can tell you that you want to do that intake grate first, with a seal kit for it. Afterwards, I am going to work on air mods. Some you buy, some are simple free mods to get more air and have a smoother flowing exhaust. Then I will have a rideplate done, and some sponsons to help with steering.I want my ski to breathe and handle the conditions before I start doing any engine or performance mods.

Quote Originally Posted by fzs_rich View Post
    ercboosted that said he gained 2.5 mph just by removing some foam and trimming his ride plate. so quick ? is the speed regulated by a limiter on these things or is that just all she'll do with the factory parts on b/c if so i will definitely try his tip before dropping some cash into it.
    You may not see the same gains as ercboosted. There are factors that come into play when dealing with skis. There is a limiter, and the factory parts are restrictive.

Quote Originally Posted by fzs_rich View Post
    ok ya'll im new to this pwc deal. i bought my waverunner just a couple of months ago. i have an 09 fzs and in my opinion, IT'S FAST. after reading ya'lls posts however i realized its just kind of fast. i dont have any exact figures on the top speed but from what i have read on previous posts im probably only pushing 67mph at best since im running a stock ski. i was wondering what a good starting point would be to get a little more out of it. i was thinking about starting with a ride plate and intake grate but after reading up on the forum im not sure what i should do. could ya'll help point me in the right direction?
    thanks, rich

welcome to GH and CONGRATS on a great ski, you will love that thing the more you ride and mod it need to do the intake grate 1st of all, and as to which one there are a few good ones to pick from i would suggest R&D or TBM, Riva is good too just not as good hook up as the R&D imo. and like 5001craig said go and read Green Hulks FZR Build Up from page one and you will gain alot of info as to what best to do to your ski to get the best results, so good luck

thanks for all the input ya'll. im definitely going to start looking at intakes now and seeing what i can do. could you tell me if the installation is pretty simple like removing a few bolts and just slapping on a new one or is it a little more involved than that? and im also gonna read up on Jerry's fzr project. i read over it briefly a few days ago just skimming the surface but now im gonna see what i can gather from it to help me along. thanks again ya'll.

Intake grate is very simple swap.

Don't know if you will have gains or not... but you will not have a high speed buck so, for safety reasons, it is an important fix/mod.

rich, make sure you get the pump seal kit that goes with the grate too.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information