SL650 triple fuel pump install....restrictor?

Just swapped out my old single outlet pump for a triple. Question, I don't see any sort of restrictor in the return line, is this something I have to add with the new pump install, or was it already supposed to be there when the old factory pump was still there? Stumped....maybe I'm just looking in the wrong place

On another note....anyone see anything wrong with just pulling off the oil pump, yanking the pump drive shaft & spring, then reinstalling the pump and blocking the oil lines vs. using a block off plate? I'm thinking I could get er running premix without having to order a block off kit.....shortcuts, shortcuts

Lake Mead Bum & BTLS Mark starflight's Avatar
    +1
    The external restrictor was used starting in 94. The 92-93 was internal in the carbs.

I'd do a block off plate. I would be afraid the pump shaft seal would leak and allow air to be sucked in. You can make your own plate. 3/16th aluminum would be easy to work with.

SPEED KILLS, BUT YOU GET THERE QUICKER Keddano's Avatar
    +1
    Tenjuna,had a '93 650 also,And could not get it to run right till we put a restrictor in-line at Starved Rock. Adding one would not hurt at all. I think we used a #80 jet for it. Adding one would not hurt it at all. But would make a big diff. if there isn't one.

Maybe Tenjuna can chime in on what size it was.

Lake Mead Bum & BTLS Mark starflight's Avatar
    +1
    In 94 the restrictor was .4mm or .0157".

yeah 92-93 650s do not have a restrictor at all actually, but I was only getting about 1-2psi until I added one.

we used a #80 jet, though I was going to use a #90...I bought a 1/4" brass barbed line splicer and tap kit from harbor freight, the #90 jet from some random site I googled (though in the end I think I had to borrow the #80 one from dano). cost about $20 and took all of 10 minutes. it most definitely helped with fuel pressure.

while the restrictor did not actually fix the problems I was having (which was basically a carb tuning issue), as was stated it sure doesn't hurt to add one.

Awesome, thanks for all the help guys! I'll see if I can find something to use as a restrictor...and make my own oil block off plate. Wonder if I'm going to have to retune the carbs due to the triple pump....guess we'll see when I fire it up!!

I had to retune once I added the triple pump and restrictor. I also replaced the fuel filter, fuel lines, and added a fuel/water separator (which does not come stock on the 92-93 650, you can get one for ~$20 on ebay, highly recommended).

for tuning on mine, I started at low speeds set to 1/4 out, the high speeds are 7/8 mag, 3/8 center, 5/8 pto. I ended up going out to 1 full turn on the low, then the stock settings + 1/4 each on the highs once it was all said and done.

good luck, pm me if you have any other specific questions, since I am going through the same issues on mine as I got it a few months ago.

Hey thanks tenjuna, I might need you to put those carb tune settings in newbie terms as I'm new to the carb scene.....when you have time. No rush though, as right now I'm working on trying to remove the oil pump without pulling the engine...previous owner/service shop put in some cheap phillips screws which heads are badly stripped, so I'm keeping busy on that for now. Thanks again!

Ha, just found Randy at Watcon's carb tuning for girls. That should get me started in my carb tuning project....thanks everyone for your input and answers to my questions, I am just learning how these things work so it's been quite a fun project so far. This forum is the best thing yet

Thread Information