Torque limiting topspeed.

I read a post about a GTI SE 130 Converted to 185 hp by Rotax racing parts, in search of a higher top speed. By the end of the post 63 mph was the top speed I think. What happend? Did he ever get 68 MPH? A friend of mine that does cylinder head design and porting for topfuel drag cars always told me, you can only increase torque by inrcreaseing cid or compression, or both. On a N/A motor. Power can be increased by Rpm. I wounder if any N/A motor has passed 63 mph. 4 stroke. If not then you could conclude torque limited without the supercharger.

+1
    I had a Kawasaki 06 STX-15F its NA. Best GPSed at 68.4mph before I sold it for my PX. Top speed is not all about power. But lots is needed.

Increasing torque would increase top speed. Increasing Power would would decrease the time it takes to acheave that speed. Thats just how it works in my mind anyway.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by jay206 View Post
    Increasing torque would increase top speed. Increasing Power would would decrease the time it takes to acheave that speed. Thats just how it works in my mind anyway.
    That's not quite how it works.

Watch your tach when you hit the gas from a dead stop. On my ski's, it stays between 7500 and 8200 rpm the whole time during acceleration. You want to maximize hp in this range. Forget about torque. By maximizing hp, you also maximize torque in any given rpm range.

Quote Originally Posted by engineermike View Post
    That's not quite how it works.

Watch your tach when you hit the gas from a dead stop. On my ski's, it stays between 7500 and 8200 rpm the whole time during acceleration. You want to maximize hp in this range. Forget about torque. By maximizing hp, you also maximize torque in any given rpm range.
    +1 The engine is the same on the 130 but lots of other stuff is needed to make HP and to last. Lower comp and forged pistons cams. Supercharger and matching gears. Injectors and regulaters not to mention ECU.. HP is the answer and Torque is part of the answer. To the point were the pump is inefficient. Then you ad traction control like Yamaha LOL

Thread Information