Thread: Cleaning IC

+1

Cleaning IC

I suck up more sand than the usual fresh lake rider. How do I clean out the intercooler? Hook the hose up to flush on trailer for a few minutes?

I think this would work
    http://froogle.google.com/froogle?q=...en&btnG=Search

This no-acid forumula is made to not corode aluminum but dissolve grass. I bet you could either funnel into the ic or put it in a saltaway attachment.

+1
    i have to do that to get any sand out of my intercooler? what does that do that flushing cant accomplish?

You might not have to go that route. Just try the hose and see if it works. Are you getting a hightemp warning or do you just assume that it's clogged? A good way to tell if it's clean or not is to blow on the fittings with no water in the IC and see how restrictive it is. With a clean core you should be able to breathe through it with relative ease, cloged you will find yourself forcing air through it.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Gforce
    You might not have to go that route. Just try the hose and see if it works. Are you getting a hightemp warning or do you just assume that it's clogged? A good way to tell if it's clean or not is to blow on the fittings with no water in the IC and see how restrictive it is. With a clean core you should be able to breathe through it with relative ease, cloged you will find yourself forcing air through it.
    i don't think it's clogged, but i was thinking if there is any sand in it i am not getting the complete max performance out of my setup. i haven't had any hi-temp alarms so i dont think it's that serious. i was curious to see what flushing the intercooler could do for performance if i havent cleaned it since i bought the ski 81.5 running hours ago.

Well you could take it out and do the blow test. Also take the fittings off the IC and take a look in there. If it is cloged up you will see it on the water inlet side the most. Also if you flush it try to flow water through the outlet and out the inlet side, backflush it. If your not getting any hightemps I wouldn't worrk about it too much bt a good backflush couldn't hurt.

Back flushing is the way to go!...
    if you don`t feel like removing the IC, disconnect the outlet hose to the exhaust manifold, and connect your garden hose thru various fittings (ex: hose with quick dis-connect) and gradually turn on water. Your house pressures are set at 45-50 psi which is the standard, so don`t crank it wide open, just flush it out moderately for awhile!...PR...

Thread Information