Taking money away from the Z06 Fund
    +1

SHO/FZR/FZS Supercharger Noise Question

After flushing my ski last night from the weekend, I noticed a somewhat loud noise/vibration coming from the Supercharger area. It's almost like some type of grinding/vibrating sound. I checked the hoses, checked to see if it was the filter kit banging against the gas tank, since theres very little clearance, etc. I noticed in the Service Manual that they call for putting engine oil in the Supercharger, but Yamaha says not to touch that unless I take the supercharger off/apart.

I still have the stock impeller wheel and haven't touched it yet. Has anyone else experienced or noticed this noise? Also, is the supercharger a self contained unit where it needs oil/oil changes or does it pull oil from the oil pan for lubrication? It almost sounds like it needs more oil.

Then again if Vortech makes/supplies the blower, doesn't surprise me J/K! Although I do wish we could drop a nice Procharger in there

It's an HKS S/C that gets oil from the engine oiling system. The noise is normal.

HKS makes the supercharger. the oil comes from the pan. most people have the noise and it is normal.

+1
    Thanks guys. I guess I didn't think it would be that loud for a stock SC. It's louder than my D1 and F1s were.

Thanks again!

+1
    I have the same sound as well. Sounds like it's going to rattle loose, but it hasn't yet.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by hitman View Post
    I have the same sound as well. Sounds like it's going to rattle loose, but it hasn't yet.
    Thanks Todd, glad I'm not the only one. You are right, I thought the S/C was going to blow up with the seat off last night.

I had a similar noise to what you describe on my 2015 FZS , 11 hours and it is the clutch of the Supercharger which is dead. Check yours in any case.

I have the same whine, and you can hear it keep rattling after the engine was off until it started to spin. I didnt notice any loss in power while i was on it before. I was wondering if my shaft broke apart, or the cog has slipped off.

Thread Information