MSX 150 coolant in oil

Greetings again, Greenhulkers:

As usual, I have come to a problem that requires some help.

My MSX 150 is experiencing closed-loop cooling system coolant in the oil. The engine is in perfect running shape (other than coolany in the oil, that is), and I have had no problems otherwise. As most of you know, I have been working on this ski for months, eliminating one external engine probem at a time until it ran great; which, again, it now does.

Before I list a few things I know, do me a favor, please, and let me give some things I want you all to take at face value. I'm trying to eliminate one thing at a time, and while it's possible that my problem lies in one of these "given" items, I perform best when working on one thing at a time. So please keep this in mind.

So, here's what I know:

Guys at my local ski shop pressure-tested the block (coolant passages), the oil tank itself, the coolant expansion tank, the oil cooler, and flow through the water pump. All were well within specs.

Now, with all that said, my coolant is not just leaking into the oil, it is gushing--although I can't see this--through the system in seconds. With just a minimum of oil, when I fill the cooling system, within sixty seconds I can pump every drop right out of the pump hose in to a container by cranking the starter, like you would change the oil.

I'm pretty familiar with the ski by now, but I'm a little fuzzy on the intercooler and the heat exchanger.

I believe that the oil running through the intercooler is only freshwater. Is this correct? I've read what seems like a thousand posts on my ski over the past week. Many of them mention that a bad intercooler can "let oil and water mix if the intercooler is bad or if it is just supremely dirty and clogged."

Does closed-loop coolant pass through the intercooler at all? I mean it looks like the answer is no, but I didn't see where oil pass through the intercooler either, but coolant can evidently contaminte the oil, and I don't see where oil comes through the intercooler. Makes me think there's a lot I need to learn on the intercooler.

And lastly, can coolant mix with the exchanger in a bad heat-exchanger unit?

And help would be appreciated.
    FLN

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by freelancenovelist View Post
    Greetings again, Greenhulkers:

As usual, I have come to a problem that requires some help.

My MSX 150 is experiencing closed-loop cooling system coolant in the oil. The engine is in perfect running shape (other than coolany in the oil, that is), and I have had no problems otherwise. As most of you know, I have been working on this ski for months, eliminating one external engine probem at a time until it ran great; which, again, it now does.

Before I list a few things I know, do me a favor, please, and let me give some things I want you all to take at face value. I'm trying to eliminate one thing at a time, and while it's possible that my problem lies in one of these "given" items, I perform best when working on one thing at a time. So please keep this in mind.

So, here's what I know:

Guys at my local ski shop pressure-tested the block (coolant passages), the oil tank itself, the coolant expansion tank, the oil cooler, and flow through the water pump. All were well within specs.

Now, with all that said, my coolant is not just leaking into the oil, it is gushing--although I can't see this--through the system in seconds. With just a minimum of oil, when I fill the cooling system, within sixty seconds I can pump every drop right out of the pump hose in to a container by cranking the starter, like you would change the oil.

I'm pretty familiar with the ski by now, but I'm a little fuzzy on the intercooler and the heat exchanger.

I believe that the oil running through the intercooler is only freshwater. Is this correct? I've read what seems like a thousand posts on my ski over the past week. Many of them mention that a bad intercooler can "let oil and water mix if the intercooler is bad or if it is just supremely dirty and clogged."

Does closed-loop coolant pass through the intercooler at all? I mean it looks like the answer is no, but I didn't see where oil pass through the intercooler either, but coolant can evidently contaminte the oil, and I don't see where oil comes through the intercooler. Makes me think there's a lot I need to learn on the intercooler.

And lastly, can coolant mix with the exchanger in a bad heat-exchanger unit?

And help would be appreciated.
    FLN
    There are a few possibilities, aside from the obvious which you most probably have already investigated:

1-) Water pump seal. If the seal is damaged, coolant will flow directly into the the crankcase.
    2-) Turbocharger cartridge housing. This is cooled by closed circuit coolant. If the turbo watercooled housing is cracked, coolant will make its way into the crankcase.
    3-) Oil cooler leak. Closed circuit coolant is used in this cooler. A leaking passage is possible. However, because oil pressure is greater than coolant pressure, it is much more typical to see oil in coolant than the opposite which is your situation.
    4-) Leaking head gasket. At a minimum, take a compression test.
    5-) Cracked engine block. This would leak even with the engine not running.

I have to ask........ are you 100% positive that all coolant and oil lines are properly routed and connected. Is it possible that a connection may be wrong.... a coolant line plugged into an oil circuit and vice-versa....

Good luck.

Coolant in oil

Thanks for the info.

Pinched oilcoolant hose was the problem.

Thread closed.

Thread Information