When changing oil, is there anything to watch out for when sticking the tube in?

I used my new Mueller pump this weekend chnaging the oil in my FX HO and it was amazingling easy, seemed almost too easy...I did run into some resistance when shoving the tube in/out the oil tank. I had a little more trouble pulling it back out, it almost seemed like it was caught on a spring or something (I could hear a faint springy metal sound when it pulled out, like the tube was stuck in something)

Is there anything to watch for when sticking the tube in there? I read that you need to push past the initial resistance to get the tube down as far as it will go..Can I hurt anything? What did I run into that caused the springy sound?

+1
    I would always use caution when sticking it in unknown territority for the first time.

+1

Bottoming Out

Quote Originally Posted by skeeterzx225 View Post
    I used my new Mueller pump this weekend chnaging the oil in my FX HO and it was amazingling easy, seemed almost too easy...I did run into some resistance when shoving the tube in/out the oil tank. I had a little more trouble pulling it back out, it almost seemed like it was caught on a spring or something (I could hear a faint springy metal sound when it pulled out, like the tube was stuck in something)

Is there anything to watch for when sticking the tube in there? I read that you need to push past the initial resistance to get the tube down as far as it will go..Can I hurt anything? What did I run into that caused the springy sound?
    I also purchased one of those pumps from the Hulk store and agree that it couldn't be any easier. I struggled once and only once. I've changed my oil twice in about 25 hours.

I also felt some resistance towards the bottom. I pushed past that and actually bottomed out, which is necessary to get the last bit of oil out. I didn't push too hard on the tube--just past the resistance right at the bottom.

It would be too easy to turn on the dirty mind but I will resist...

Incidentally, I change my oil on the lift in the water and I turn the ski around so the nose is down too, which helps as the oil is toward the front of the motor where the tube is.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by hitman View Post
    I would always use caution when sticking it in unknown territority for the first time.
    sound advice to live by

Scroll down to the oil change section. The plastic tubing can get hung up and scrape on the way out, shaving plastic off the tube and leaving it in your tank..

http://www.fullwavemarine.com/TIPS%2...AHA%20PWC.html

I don't know if anyone else had this issue, but, i am extremely cautious about over filling. That is far more dangerous then a little under filled. When I I get near the full mark I always give it some time to drain down and get an accurate reading before proceeding.

During my last oil change I took a lot of time to get it exact and even checked it the following morning. I then checked it two weeks later and it was over filled by 1/2 qt.- I just do not understand how that could have happened? It was definitely only oil.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack B View Post
    I don't know if anyone else had this issue, but, i am extremely cautious about over filling. That is far more dangerous then a little under filled. When I I get near the full mark I always give it some time to drain down and get an accurate reading before proceeding.

During my last oil change I took a lot of time to get it exact and even checked it the following morning. I then checked it two weeks later and it was over filled by 1/2 qt.- I just do not understand how that could have happened? It was definitely only oil.
    Drysump systems are hard to pinpoint measurement wise. I would replace the OEM paper filter with an aftermarket Riva or R&D one which is a metal mesh material. This way an overfill condition wont foul out the paper one and reduce performance.

Thread Information