Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Diabetes ?

Diabetes ?

what can you guys tell me about diabetes?...Thanks...

flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    +1
    you wont be able to eat as much Ice cream and cake....if any.

basic symptoms...depending on what type you have...

• Frequent urination
    • Excessive thirst
    • Extreme hunger
    • Unusual weight loss
    • Increased fatigue
    • Irritability
    • Blurry vision
    the exact opposite is hypoglycemia
    Your brain needs a steady supply of sugar (glucose), for it neither stores nor manufactures its own energy supply. If glucose levels become too low, as occurs with hypoglycemia, it can have these effects on your brain:

• Confusion, abnormal behavior or both, such as the inability to complete routine tasks
    • Visual disturbances, such as double vision and blurred vision
    • Seizures, though uncommon
    • Loss of consciousness, though uncommon
    Hypoglycemia may also cause these other signs and symptoms:

• Heart palpitations
    • Tremor
    • Anxiety
    • Sweating
    • Hunger

Which type?

ha, that`s just the thing, I don`t ever get to eat ice cream and cake. I don`t eat sweets or candy. most everything is good home cooked food... (my sig is from the TV commercial)

well don`t know yet, last week did a glucose tolerance test, bc they saw some levels were "high" on my work up... so today my wife gets a call from the Dr`s (2) enough to freak her out and now she`s busting my stones to get in there for whatever treatment...
    Diabetes runs in my family, and my sister and grandmother (may she rest in piece) have/had it...

just my luck...

the first scenario sounds like that`s the one...without the weight loss, I`ve been the same weight for the last 3 years, Fat... 191-200#

flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    +1
    could be worse....I have a slight case of hypoglycemia for now. we'll see what happens in 30+ years when I'm 60. If I dont eat I get very spacey, irritable, and turn out fine in an hour if I drink a Mt Dew. It pisses me off

+1
    Much depends on whether you're looking at Type 1 or Type 2. Mom is the president of the ADA in Louisiana and it's in my family. Feel free to call if you want to talk.

+1
    Pale Rider: Good luck, I hope your sitch improves. My sister "converted" to
    diabetsism about 25 years ago; that's when she was 16. For 2 days straight all she did was drink, urinate and complain of dry mouth and blurry vision. Then she spent the next 2 weeks in the hospital in & out of a coma. She came home taking 3 shots a day. She's done well tho. She's had 2 children (after loosing 3 midterm) and is in relatively good health. Now she's on the pump and it' really helped her to regulate her sugar levels. Juvenile diabetes (Type II, I think) just plain sux.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Pale Rider View Post
    ha, that`s just the thing, I don`t ever get to eat ice cream and cake. I don`t eat sweets or candy. most everything is good home cooked food... (my sig is from the TV commercial)

well don`t know yet, last week did a glucose tolerance test, bc they saw some levels were "high" on my work up... so today my wife gets a call from the Dr`s (2) enough to freak her out and now she`s busting my stones to get in there for whatever treatment...
    Diabetes runs in my family, and my sister and grandmother (may she rest in piece) have/had it..

just my luck...

the first scenario sounds like that`s the one...without the weight loss, I`ve been the same weight for the last 3 years, Fat... 191-200#
    Andy sorry to hear it runs in your family. My grandparents have type 2 diabeties which is just controlled through diet and health. Type 1 is where you'll start needing to give yourself glucose injections. You want your blood sugar in the range of 100 - 120. I'm hypoglycemic(low blood sugar) but I control it with food. You'll know when i'm hypoglycemic cause I get really grumpy. Hyperglycemia is high blood sugar. From working on a rescue company for several years we get called to low blood sugar calls all the time. The person can be either unconscious or in a state where it appears they are drunk and they can become agressive. Most of the time they are given a shot of glucose and with in 15 minutes they are back to being normal again. Lets hope it doesn't get to that point! As long as you keep a healthy diet and keep with the injections you'll be ok. Good luck. Any questions PM me!

I`ll know the course of action and medication as soon as I speak to the doc.
    Thanks everyone for the help!...Andy...

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by xsockguyx View Post
    Type 1 is where you'll start needing to give yourself glucose injections. ...
    It's insulin injections homie.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information