Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Smile GIO fix ?????????

I have an 07 250X which i brought new. I installed an R&D breather kit after around 10hrs. I now have around 38hrs on it. I have had a GIO issue since new. Fitting the R&D kit did little to improve the GIO. Kawasaki NZ claim that a check valve, part number 16087-3714 fitted into the primary wet box will fix GIO issue.
    Heres the test i did.
    Before i fitted the check valve i replaced oil and filter. Oil level was set at "cool low" mark. I competed in a 100 mile endurance race which was about 98% WOT, going thru around 135 litres of gas. Gauged oil level 3 days after race. Results were oil level raised from "cool low" to 3/4 of the way up to the "cool high". Oil stunk like i just dipped the petrol tank. R&D catch can had about 50ml of gas in it.
    Changed oil and filter. Re-checked oil level to "cool low" mark. I then fitted the check valve. I competed in second 100 mile endurance race which was also about 98% WOT and sucking thru about the same in gas.
    Gauged oil level 2 days later. Results were NO gain in oil level. R&D can still had around 50mls of gas in it.
    In my experience it would seem that the check valve will significantly reduce any GIO issue and that the R&D can will catch the rest.
    Valve ain`t cheep but worth the money if you want results.

+1
    AS I have previously posted I've had GIO since my 250 was new. In the winter of 07 Kawi put new rings in and I still had GIO. In the winter of 08 they installed a new crank case, rings and the oil cooler check valve. Then thought by raising the tempeture of the oil they could get rid of the GIO. Well yesterday I actually had to ADD oil to the ski. That's a first! Usually I had to remove oil to bring it back down to the correct level. The oil does not smell of gas and is still really clean considering I have 30 hours on this oil change. I have sent off for a oil analysis kit to have my oil tested. It looks like Kawi does have a fix and I would suggest if you stillhave GIO, contact your dealer. Will keep you posted.

what is the part number for the oil cooler check valve, i know the water box valve, but cannot find a oil cooler valve, thanks

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Livin on the Edge View Post
    AS I have previously posted I've had GIO since my 250 was new. In the winter of 07 Kawi put new rings in and I still had GIO. In the winter of 08 they installed a new crank case, rings and the oil cooler check valve. Then thought by raising the tempeture of the oil they could get rid of the GIO. Well yesterday I actually had to ADD oil to the ski. That's a first! Usually I had to remove oil to bring it back down to the correct level. The oil does not smell of gas and is still really clean considering I have 30 hours on this oil change. I have sent off for a oil analysis kit to have my oil tested. It looks like Kawi does have a fix and I would suggest if you stillhave GIO, contact your dealer. Will keep you posted.
    yeah right as if dont think it is that simple sorry.

The Check valve is the Ultra 260 2009 model ,,valve that goes to your rear muffler.

Quote Originally Posted by Livin on the Edge View Post
    Not sure i have heard of the oil cooler check valve. Kawasaki NZ claim that installing the check valve in the water cooling system, will raise the operating temperature of the engine. The rise in the upper cylinder temperatures, improves fuel burn to reduce GIO. Some would say the plugs will run hotter and improve plug life. Only time will tell.

+1
    I asked my Tech for the exact part numbers. Will post when he responds.

+1
    If you do the double inlet I/C mod you may get the same effect as the check valve fitting for the water box. The hose running from the exhaust manifold to the top of the I/C is removed when doing the mod and the fitting on the manifold can be removed and plugged. This fitting is very restricted, check out the pic. Take the restricted fitting from the manifold and use it as your waterbox fitting. You now have blocked 1 cooling exit point and have restricted another. This may have the same effect as using the waterbox check valve fitting in that it may raise the temp just like the new fitting. Plus if you have gotten this far, you have done the I/C mod which is a good thing I have done this change but i don't know if it helped the GIO situation because i run the OCMS system with the 08 breather setup. That stoped the GIO.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	exh fit 006.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	1.75 MB 
ID:	145865  

+1
    Here is a pic of the waterbox fitting that can be switched out with either the new 09 fitting or the one from the exhaust manifold.
    It would be interesting to see if either one of these mods would help.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	install 014.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	1.94 MB 
ID:	145877  

I just did the I/C mod , so I'm wondering if this did anythijng for your GIO ? If so let us know because thats a two minute fix since I have the vavle from the mod.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information