96 yamaha wave venture 1100 triple carb problem?

Hello everyone im new to the forums. I have a 1996 yamaha wave venture 1100 triple that im having problems with. It starts fine, but when I go to accellerate, it bogs down for a second, then jerks forward like there is no problem. Its kind of like a severe throttle response problem. its an 1100cc 3cyl and im 180lbs and it will only do 45mph tops. The other day, It would start but would die when I tried to accelerate. The only way I got it home was by working the choke in/out while accelerating-and even then it would only go 5-10mph the whole way. I have replaced the fuel filter and have noticed that when the ski is running the fuel filter is only 1/4 to 1/2 full of fuel. Do I have a fuel pump/filter problem here or is it possibly a carb problem? Thanks for any help.

Brandon

people will reply, sometimes it takes awhile.

hows the compression in your cylinders?

Quote Originally Posted by Tango911 View Post
    people will reply, sometimes it takes awhile.

hows the compression in your cylinders?
    compression in all 3 cylinders is 120lbs

+1
    I would stop now and go through the 38 Mikuni SBN carbs. They likely need rebuilt and or the fuel pump that is attached to the #3 carb. I would get 3 rebuild kits and go through each and also replace your Needle/seats in all. If stock they will have 1.2 in there....if you run a non stock F/A run 1.5's

M

you must check the filters in the carbs,, each will have one and they can plug easily,, you will lean out that cylinder and hurt the motor,, it takes a little time but is not difficult to pull the carbs,,

good luck

Quote Originally Posted by Mpeavler View Post
    I would stop now and go through the 38 Mikuni SBN carbs. They likely need rebuilt and or the fuel pump that is attached to the #3 carb. I would get 3 rebuild kits and go through each and also replace your Needle/seats in all. If stock they will have 1.2 in there....if you run a non stock F/A run 1.5's

M
    I have a 1995 Raider 701. Do you know what size the needle and seat is for both carbs?

The ski has a FACTORY PIPE, MSD, SOLAS, BOYESEN REEDS, RIVA Filters. I had it in storage for over 3 years and pulled it out to try and get it running. I checked the compression and it has 150 psi in the front cylinder and 140 psi in the rear. I can't get the ski to run consistently. I already rebuilt the carbs except I didn't replace the needle and seat. The engine fires but will not stay on for more than 2 or 3 seconds. Any suggestions?

+1
    Likely 1.5 N/S it's stamped on the bottom of the seat.

M

Thread Information