01 XLT1200--dies--no cranking..

been a long day...driving our XLT1200 for an hour and all of a sudden it just dies.............burpppppp....go to re-start and there is nothing. No cranking, no clicking ... no nothing. Hit the start button and nothing happens. Grab a newly charged battery...same thing.

Lanyard is in, gauge says "start" but nothing happens. Not fuel related, fuses are OK. After doing some searching, leaning towards a start relay however why out of the blue did it just die and then no crank to start?

Ski has 80 hours, has waveeaters and PV couplers as well as CAT removal and chip.

Any suggestions would be helpful since we are miles away from home enjoying some time off.

+1
    Check battery terminal corrosion; starter relay (known for going out); CDI box. That's just off the top of my head.

Dead 99 XL 1200 LTD

I have the same issue....riding along and it just died. tried to start it up right away and it turned over real hard once or twice...clicked a few times and now nothing. The display blinks 'start' a few times is all you get. New battery a few weeks ago with clean and tight connections. Fuses are good. Pulled the plugs and they were dry but the rear plug looked almost a bit rusty. Any ideas?

Well, I just got home and was unable to locate any parts so that ski just sat for a few days. I have it in my garage now and will start to dig alittle deeper. Will let you know what I find.

Quote Originally Posted by laker241 View Post
    I have the same issue....riding along and it just died. tried to start it up right away and it turned over real hard once or twice...clicked a few times and now nothing. The display blinks 'start' a few times is all you get. New battery a few weeks ago with clean and tight connections. Fuses are good. Pulled the plugs and they were dry but the rear plug looked almost a bit rusty. Any ideas?
    I'd start by doing a compression test. You can short across the starter solenoid to see if the starter works and if the solenoid is bad. If you have no compression in a cylinder alook to see if there is a a puddle of oil under the motor. I'm nor an expert but have been thru a similar problem in both of my 1200 PV rides. Cause was the oil line had came off the 3rd cyl and seized the piston. Trying to restart it several times took out the starter solenoid.

You may want to go back and read my issue and responses from 07-07-2009, 11:41 AM . Great help on this site and good people.

All fixed

Had a faultly starter relay. Installed new one just now and all fixed. Thanks to GreenHulk for all the knowledge

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by durango9099 View Post
    I'd start by doing a compression test. You can short across the starter solenoid to see if the starter works and if the solenoid is bad. If you have no compression in a cylinder alook to see if there is a a puddle of oil under the motor. I'm nor an expert but have been thru a similar problem in both of my 1200 PV rides. Cause was the oil line had came off the 3rd cyl and seized the piston. Trying to restart it several times took out the starter solenoid.
    Absolutely none of the symptoms he described indicate a seized engine.

Thread Information