99 Yamaha GP800X takes forever to start...

Is it normal for a ski this old to take forever to get it started? It takes me 2-5 minutes to get the ski to fire up after I have not rode it for a week. Once it starts that first time I do not have problems at all. But getting it to start after 1 week of not starting it is very very hard. Is there anything I can do to fix this issue? Is it the starter? I changed out the spark plugs and that did not help. I did not adjust the spark plugs I just left them like they were out of the box could that be it? The ones that were on it before were like that though. Could it be that it is not getting any fuel to fire?

All i do for my 2001 XL800 is make sure the selector is in the right position, pull the choke and hit the start button, if i give it any throttle its just a little, sometimes it takes 2-3 times hitting the start button. Then it fires right up, once it begins to start, then i turn the choke off, and let it warm up.

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by neowind View Post
    I changed out the spark plugs and that did not help. I did not adjust the spark plugs I just left them like they were out of the box could that be it? The ones that were on it before were like that though. Could it be that it is not getting any fuel to fire?

not gapping the plugs is a classic mistake..but you likely have a fuel system/pump/vent problem. Try shutting the fuel off after it's been run, at the next startup, turn fuel on and try to start. If the fuel drains back to the tank, the lines will have to be primed up agaian, and that can take quite a few tries on the starter.

Is there a way I can look inside the engine to see if the gas is in the line or not? I have to hold the throttle full and hold down the starter for like 30 second intervals 4-5 times or more to get it to fire. Once it starts a get a big cloud of grey smoke then it is good to go.

Is there a way I can look inside the engine to see if the gas is in the line or not? I have to hold the throttle full and hold down the starter for like 30 second intervals 4-5 times or more to get it to fire. Once it starts a get a big cloud of grey smoke then it is good to go.
    The engine doesn't get gas if the throttle is held open, if my understanding of the way the fuel pump works is right. Full choke, and an odd opening and closing of the throttle should get the beast to light up! if not, the carbs/fuel pump need rebuilding, or a primer kit can be added (and a rebuild of the carbs/fuel pump!), always assuming a high battery charge (they won't start with a low battery voltage). I love OsideBills' quote that 90% of electrical problems on a 2 stroke are to be found in the Carbs! Make that 99.99999% of ALL problems with a 2 stroke are to be found in the carbs, and you'll understand why every request for help is usually pre-fixed with, "When were the carbs last rebuilt?). I got some rebuilt carbs off Jim, and they cured bad starting, overheating, bogging, bad fuel consumption, Erectile Disfunction (caused by worrying about my ski not running right- by the way Jim, Paula says "THANK'S!). Seriously, check the carbs out, or you'll toast the starter.

How much does it cost to have your carb rebuilt?

How much does it cost to have your carb rebuilt?
    Ask one of the Gurus' on G/H to quote you. Whatever the cost, it's worth every cent when it's done right!

just because the ski is 10 years old I would check out a few other things (like carbs) but my 99 was hard to start when it was new and a primer fixed it

I've rebuilt the carbs several times over the years on my '99 gp800. Its always been hard to start, depending on the interval between starts. Although that wasn't the reason for rebuilding the carbs, it did help starting somewhat. I did purchase a primer, but after hearing posts of potential problems with the primer, I did not install. Fairy tale? I don't know but didn't want to take the risk. I now just make it a habit to start it up briefly every 2 weeks. Any longer than that and the difficulty starting increases exponentially.

Thread Information