Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

94 sl 750 no start

okay, my buddy had his ski at the lake the other day, forgot to put the plug in it, well it was beached when it sank, not submurged but close enough(from what I am told water reached top of rear jug). it wouldnt restart after, had a momentary hard crank, I've been researching and trying to find anything similiar posted. However, I have not been able to, the engine cranks over well now, had 12 volts when cranking, has spark, and I can spray fuel/oil into spark plug holes to attempt to sart but it doesnt even try now. I am thinking possibly a sheared flywheel key or the first throw on the crank(from mag to flywheel) has turned, as best as I can easily check the crank index from the 3 pistons is correct(damn close if not dead on). I am new to jet skis and I am a service tech on cars during the day, so I am mechanicaly inclined and have a clue. we did swap cdi boxes between the two and still no start(one that wouldnt start did start the other ski). am I way off thinking the crank index between the mag cyl and flywheel is off, or a flywheel key? any suggestions, fuel is good, no water in water seperator, I have good compression 115-120 across the board.
    any ideas?
    thanks
    --Justin

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Did water get inside the engine?
    Was the engine cranked with water inside, and spark plugs in place?

Is there water inside the engine now?

If you crank with all spark plugs out, does water spray out the plug holes?

yes, it seems that it did but no one can confirm for sure. The plugs were in place, and it apparently cranked slow immediately after. It does not have water in it now, and it was oiled the next day(after I found out). water does not spray, it just will not start now.

SPEED KILLS, BUT YOU GET THERE QUICKER Keddano's Avatar
    +1
    So to swap boxes you had to open them and swap the wiring also. I'm thinking you have the coils out of sync. Take the longest spark plug with and try it to the mag plug,all other plugs out and grounded.Try to start it. The ski will run on one cylinder. If it does fire move the plug and wire to next hole, repeat.If you find a cyl. that it fires on mark it as such. Then repeat with the next wire on the other two holes. All the plugs fire at the same time,but they have to be in the right spot for the timing to be right,

The coils are not color marked,only the wires going to the coil.You could use a scamatic to make sure the color wires coil leading to the coils are hook to the proper cyl order also.

But the first method is quick and easy. I doubt you could get enough force to sear the key during cranking,yes you could twist the crank out of plase,but not sear the key.

Quote Originally Posted by Keddano View Post
    So to swap boxes you had to open them and swap the wiring also. I'm thinking you have the coils out of sync. Take the longest spark plug with and try it to the mag plug,all other plugs out and grounded.Try to start it. The ski will run on one cylinder. If it does fire move the plug and wire to next hole, repeat.If you find a cyl. that it fires on mark it as such. Then repeat with the next wire on the other two holes. All the plugs fire at the same time,but they have to be in the right spot for the timing to be right,

The coils are not color marked,only the wires going to the coil.You could use a scamatic to make sure the color wires coil leading to the coils are hook to the proper cyl order also.

But the first method is quick and easy. I doubt you could get enough force to sear the key during cranking,yes you could twist the crank out of plase,but not sear the key.

okay, I'll try that, another question though, it is doing exactly the same thing the other one did, my buddy that owns it said it would start and run at times but wouldnt idle, would run to approx 3k rpm. Is this relevant?

okay, wait a minute though, we swapped not the entire box, just the module that the stator pluged into inside the box. so we just matched colors back up, both skis are 94 polaris 750s, identical. Do i still need to check as you suggested?

SPEED KILLS, BUT YOU GET THERE QUICKER Keddano's Avatar
    +1
    I'm guessing you swapped the CDI(black box about 1" x 3" x 4")if that is it,then you would have had to unplugged the coil wires. So try it,it only takes a few minutes.

+1
    Fuji's spark all cylinders at the same time. No need to match the plug wires.

okay, are there any other ideas? I still beleive that the crank is going to have to be re indexed but i'd rather exhaust all other possibities first.
    thanks
    --Justin

oh, and thank you for helping me try to figure this out.
    --Justin

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information