High Pitched Noise

Hi Guys, new to the forum and unfortunately my first post is a question about a problem. We have a 2008 RXT-X with 40 hrs and today while on the river making speed runs on flat water at top speed - all of a sudden it felt like the brakes were applied and we heard a high-pitched squeal. We drove back to the dock hearing the high pitched squeal all the way and the engine would not rev above 5800rpm. When we pulled the jetski out of the water, there was a 1/4" thick stick about a foot long stuck on the inside of the impeller just getting carved up (the stick), impeller and liner look fine. Pulled the stick out, went back in the water and still the same high-pitched sound and top speed of 50mph only. The sound seems to be coming from the front of the intake area. The oil looks fine, the plugs all look fine, no vibrations.

Thanks in advance for all your advice and help.

+1
    Sounds like your supercharger bearings are locked up, or about to. Pull and inspect it right away, do not run it again, until u do, as it will only make things worse inside of motor. Pull the hose off the intake side of the SC, and try to spin the wheel by hand, if it spins freely, than the clutch washers may have broke. Look closely to see if the blades have touched the housing (bearings gone bad)

P&R,

Welcome to the board. Sorry to hear of your troubles.

Are you sure everything is out of the pump?....no damage to a blade?

Personally...I've turned a few sticks into salad....never hurt the ski.

Re: High Pitched Noise

Thanks for your advice guys, we started looking at all the hoses and noticed the one from supercharger to intercooler seemed to be off?? That could explain the sudden loss of rpms and the high pitched noise you would hear from it being exposed. We tightened them all and started with the hose and it seemed much quieter when we ran it with the hose in the yard. Unfortunately we won't get to test it until tomorrow, so we'll keep our fingers crossed.

Thanks again, of course it has to be the hottest weekend of the year in New England - we only get two a year and hate to miss any!

If i knew,...I wouldn't ask sea-one's Avatar
    +1

noise

Hello,up there in N.E.......
    just wanted to give my .02 cents.My first thought on this was the "stick" in the pump.It was probably larger when it first went in,so you were runnin 8 grand or so and sucked that up which stopped that impeller briefly enough to damage the SC with a sudden "jolt" and needs to be "slipped" tested on the bench before any riding.Torque wrench will be required for this.Good luck

md
    dallas tx

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by P&R View Post
    Thanks for your advice guys, we started looking at all the hoses and noticed the one from supercharger to intercooler seemed to be off?? That could explain the sudden loss of rpms and the high pitched noise you would hear from it being exposed. We tightened them all and started with the hose and it seemed much quieter when we ran it with the hose in the yard. Unfortunately we won't get to test it until tomorrow, so we'll keep our fingers crossed.

Thanks again, of course it has to be the hottest weekend of the year in New England - we only get two a year and hate to miss any!
    Welcome to the forum!

That should be your problem. You need to double check all hose clamps and get better T bolt clamps if possible. If your rpms come back to normal then all good, but with 40 hours i would check slip or even install riva washers if possible.

Check all your exhaust clamps also. You need to check all hoses ever so often to be sure are tight especially after the first time out after reinstalling or brand new.

What a relief!

I'm glad to report the problem was the loosened hose, what a relief. I thought for sure the 'stick' caused a major problem, but we lucked out and now back exactly where we should be - thanks to all.

+1
    Does your skiing season end soon? You should get the SCer slip checked on the RXTX. Most the PX's are at 4-5ft lbs at 50 hours that I have seen. It maybe less of an issue with the TX just not too sure. Skoepp would know. About the clamps, I just went around and tighten mine up after every ride. I never blew a hose off, but did change out to T-Bolt Clamps.

Banned User
    i also say to get the slip checked i ran a 09 X charger in my RXT this summer for about 25 hours and it was in need of a shim. If u lose to much slip u will eat washers from heating them up to much.

Thread Information