Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

FZR as my first PWC ???

Hey guys !

I'm brand new to the forum, and I've been wanting a PWC for a while now, so I'm thinking about buying an FZR for my first purchase. I'm from Nova Scotia, Canada, on an island called Cape Breton with water all around me, which makes me wonder why I've taken so long to start shopping. Anyway, I called my local dealer today, but they didn't receive an FZR this season, so I'm hoping he'll be able to track one down. I've been riding Yamaha's since the early 80's, and I really love their build quality and reputation for dependability, not to forget Yamaha Blue Onto my questions, overall, how do you guys like your FZR's ? Are there any concerns I should have for a first time owner ? I'd like to find one locally, but I'm willing to travel a bit if I can't find one here, even in the eastern US if need be. Well, if anyone has any comments or suggestions, whether it be positive or negative, and even a heads up as to where I could purchase one relatively close in Canada or the US, I'd appreciate the advice !

Thanks, and great site too !

Dave

Welcome to the forum and I am in the same boat you are. I want a FZR.. Do a Search on the forum and you will get a lot of answer to your question..

felix

+1
    Welcome to the forum!

I would say the FZ-series would be an AWESOME first ski. My philosophy is to get the best as if you don't you will just want it... AND when you get it, it will just cost you more.

The FZR is the two-seater. The FZS is the three-seater. I went with the FZS as maybe I will want to pull something (and I have). Also, the FZS comes with the step on the back which I think is smart whether you have the FZS or the FZR.

I really like my FZS. The only think I would " budget" into the purchase price is an intake grate as some have had bucking problems with the stock grate (I rode mine for a bit and never had any issues--but some have and the ones that have posted are reputable). Research this topic and make your own decision--as with anything you read about. For what it's worth, I went with the R & D grate.

Do your research on the forum. I think there is another thread with a similar question as yours.

Good luck!

welcome to greenhulk. The FZ, whether an S or an R, are both great skis. I took the S model for the step and ability to tow things too.

I too have the S. They are identical ski's the only difference is the seat, mount brackets for the seat, and the swim step bar in the back. I went with the S because it is legal to tow a skier and I like the swim step. Even though they are identical skis, Yamaha rates the R as 2 seater and S as a 3 seater... go figure. I've only got about 9 hours on mine in the last month os so I've owned it but it is solid and reliable, easy to control, and great on gas (considering what it is). If you've been on Yamahas before, be it a dirt bike or a street bike, you'll be right at home I think but this thing does feel more like an R-1 than a cruiser for sure.

Thanks for the replies ! Like I said, I'm searching for the R model because it's Blue, every Yamaha I've owned ( (4) R1's, R6, YZF 250F, Kodiak 400 ATV, FX Nytro RTX and Phazer FX) except for my 1983 YZinger 80 (which was yellow) has been Blue, just can't see me being 100% satisfied if it wasn't. Perhaps I'll get the 3rd seat, tow hook and rear step of the S model down the road and install it over the winter, but for now, I'm having hopes of just finding one relatively close so I can purchase one. Oh yeah, I've been reading through the forums as well, there's a lot of info on these, just takes a lot of time, where I should be using it to actually find one of these suckers ! Again, if anyone knows where to locate one, even as far as Ontario or the Eastern US, I'm all ears.

Thanks again !

Dave

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Caper View Post
    Thanks for the replies ! Like I said, I'm searching for the R model because it's Blue, every Yamaha I've owned ( (4) R1's, R6, YZF 250F, Kodiak 400 ATV, FX Nytro RTX and Phazer FX) except for my 1983 YZinger 80 (which was yellow) has been Blue, just can't see me being 100% satisfied if it wasn't. Perhaps I'll get the 3rd seat, tow hook and rear step of the S model down the road and install it over the winter, but for now, I'm having hopes of just finding one relatively close so I can purchase one. Oh yeah, I've been reading through the forums as well, there's a lot of info on these, just takes a lot of time, where I should be using it to actually find one of these suckers ! Again, if anyone knows where to locate one, even as far as Ontario or the Eastern US, I'm all ears.

Thanks again !

Dave
    Dave.... there are plenty around here in Quebec.

+1
    The fz will spoil you , the fz series has a very precise ride quality..it does not wobble and mush around , it tracks very nice at speed and lean's over like a motorcycle in the turns....the other day I swapped ski's with my buddy who rides an rxt , now im not trying to start trouble ,I like sea-doo's also ,but the differance was amazing. The rxt felt like an antique pig boat (a fast pig boat) and was leaning to one side or the other going in a straight line..im not sure if this is normal , but my yamaha's(gpr &fzr) have always had razor sharp handeling and great ride quality...the rxt is very good and the rough water as is the fzr.....the fzr and rxt-x are absolutely equal in a drag race , on a bouy course you may prefer the fzr......the yamaha will cost you more but i feel you get what you pay for in the long run.....choose wisely and try to always ride with a buddy ,especially in the ocean. Hope this helps

Quote Originally Posted by desperado View Post
    Dave.... there are plenty around here in Quebec.
    Any chance you can post the names of the dealerships where you've seen them ? I'm sure my dealer will try to get one brought in for me (he's been excellent to deal with), but it never hurts to have a back-up plan. I appreciate your replies as well guys, Thanks !

get the FZ and u will be glad you did... awesum ski's u can check with Riva Motorsports however they are out of Pompano Beach Fl so maybe a little too far for you, but good luck

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information