Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Too many toys, not enough time snoopy'sbitch's Avatar

96 xp water in the hull and compression numbers

Ok everyone, I want to first start off by thanking everyone for the continued help. I got my other xp out on the lake, and it ran like a champ. At some point in the ride, it kept stalling and was harder to get going, until I needed to be towed. I noticed at the dock the hull had alot of water. The large part of the exhaust manifold off the engine has 4 "plugs" on it. I am unsure wat they are for, but one somehow had a hole and leaked water in. I guess the water killed my starter and that why it wouldn't restart. I broght it home, cranked the engine to make sure water didnt get in. She wont start because starter isnt strong enough with both plugs in, but I did take compression. I had 200 in each hole. Is that a great number, or way to high. I have an r&d performance head. Do I need race gas

flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    +1
    those plugs tend to rust out...especially if you ride in salt water. you need to get that welded up. you may also want to check your carbon ring that is around the driveshaft. that can sink a boat if its bad.

Quote Originally Posted by airbornexp View Post
    those plugs tend to rust out...especially if you ride in salt water. you need to get that welded up. you may also want to check your carbon ring that is around the driveshaft. that can sink a boat if its bad.
    I am going to have to take care of the exhaust. I did away with the carbon ring, as I eplaced it with the seal instead

What do you think about those compression numbers?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by snoopy'sbitch View Post
    I am going to have to take care of the exhaust. I did away with the carbon ring, as I eplaced it with the seal instead

What do you think about those compression numbers?
    a seal? what kind? I didnt know that there was an option...hrmmm. your compression seems high but I dont know what size domes that you have. if your around 200 I think that you would need 110 leaded

Quote Originally Posted by airbornexp View Post
    a seal? what kind? I didnt know that there was an option...hrmmm. your compression seems high but I dont know what size domes that you have. if your around 200 I think that you would need 110 leaded

110 leaded? where the hell to i get that. Here is the pic of the seal i speak of
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_0506.JPG 
Views:	41 
Size:	885.9 KB 
ID:	146103  

+1
    ahhh...thats the seal off the 95 and older machines. you have to buy it by the barrel(55gal) but I could be wrong. Ask Ziggy or XPSS for sure.

Really, I thought that was an aftermarket piece to solve the leaking carbon ring problem. Is the seal a good idea, or carbon ring is better. I got this seal because my ring was leaking, and thought this was a much better idea. I will have to check the compression again after i get the exhaust fixed and ski running. I was cranking the engine and spraying lube in the carbs to make sure nothing would happen to engine in the even it injested some water. Maybe the lube bumped up my compression

Warner Robins, GA Home of the 2007 All-Star Little League World Champions!
    The pre-96 seal is what you have. They have to be greased after each ride or they will rust up the bearings and stop sealing. A high maintenance item if you ask me. They also decrease max rpms because of the additional drag. Only 20-40, but still...

I prefer the carbon ring setup. You have to keep them clean (as in not allowing grease on the mating surfaces), and dribble water on the ring and seal when running on the hose, to prevent it from overheating. If it overheats, it stops sealing also.

I buy racing fuel straing out of a pump locally. You can buy it normally from a local race/machine shop, in your own jugs, or in 5 gallon sealed cans.

Quote Originally Posted by 96XPSS View Post
    The pre-96 seal is what you have. They have to be greased after each ride or they will rust up the bearings and stop sealing. A high maintenance item if you ask me. They also decrease max rpms because of the additional drag. Only 20-40, but still...

I prefer the carbon ring setup. You have to keep them clean (as in not allowing grease on the mating surfaces), and dribble water on the ring and seal when running on the hose, to prevent it from overheating. If it overheats, it stops sealing also.

I buy racing fuel straing out of a pump locally. You can buy it normally from a local race/machine shop, in your own jugs, or in 5 gallon sealed cans.

Great to know. I havent gps'd the ski (how do you do that without getting it wet), but it is very fast. I have a polaris sl780 and it doesn't even compare. Does 200 psi sound legit. I was quite surprised to tell you the truth. I will have to google race gas in my area, but not to excited about what that will cost. FWIW, I had a leaking carbon ring, and you are probably right that it is less maint, but quite the seal works quite well. I am on a high traffic lake, and spead shouldn't be over 35 mph, so even though I may loose 1 mph, i cant easily use her at full potential. One more thing. Where can I get a good strong starter

Warner Robins, GA Home of the 2007 All-Star Little League World Champions!
    They don't make any more heavy duty starters that I know of. But getting a good gel battery helps. You can easily have a 200 psi head...people have run higher. Get a primer if you don't have one too. Otherwise, you will be buying starters pretty frequent...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information