seized counterbalance

Hey, didnt get much reponse in last thread hoping for more now.. i bought a 98 gsx limited with a seized engine in it that was rebuilt by sbt, upon taking it apart i found the counter balance has seized because the bearing in the shaft towards the rear appeared to be getting no oil and disinigrated... thus cracking the block as well now i am deciding on buying a rebuilt engine or reparing mine, my question is does anyone know why this would happen and is there away to prevent it from happeneing again. Thanks

Warner Robins, GA Home of the 2007 All-Star Little League World Champions!
    Quote Originally Posted by wrxwrb View Post
    Hey, didnt get much reponse in last thread hoping for more now.. i bought a 98 gsx limited with a seized engine in it that was rebuilt by sbt, upon taking it apart i found the counter balance has seized because the bearing in the shaft towards the rear appeared to be getting no oil and disinigrated... thus cracking the block as well now i am deciding on buying a rebuilt engine or reparing mine, my question is does anyone know why this would happen and is there away to prevent it from happeneing again. Thanks
    Either when the engine was built no oil was put in this cavity, or...this is a weak area on 951's. So if someone piped it, this is the first bearing that fails when the engine starts turning over 7500rpm.

+1
    SBT does NOT put oil in the CB shaft oil cavity. It is plastered right on the front of the paperwork packet that oil must be added.

If the engine did not have many hours on it is possible that the installer failed to add the oil. If there were a lot of hours on it then they may not have added enough, it leaked out, or as previously stated, it was run to death by AM mods.

+1
    I like to use only OEM Counter Balance shaft bearings , have never had one fail yet as long as the cavity has the required oil. Have heard of aftermarket ones failing quite early under 50 hrs.

Thanks... being that the case is cracked would anyone recommend repairing it or should i just get a rebuilt ( the rest of the motor is clean)...Does the counter balance receive oil from the oil tank at all or is it sealed in with its own oil? Cuz i wanted to get a block off plate and premix. Thanks for the help

Warner Robins, GA Home of the 2007 All-Star Little League World Champions!
    Quote Originally Posted by wrxwrb View Post
    Thanks... being that the case is cracked would anyone recommend repairing it or should i just get a rebuilt ( the rest of the motor is clean)...Does the counter balance receive oil from the oil tank at all or is it sealed in with its own oil? Cuz i wanted to get a block off plate and premix. Thanks for the help
    On 951's the cavity is sealed. You really need to find another set of cases.

Is the bearing the one next to the counterweight. if so it gets no oil, the shaft has seals to keep the oil in the gear section and uses sealed self lubed bearings next to the weights. on the Di it has 2 seals to the rear bearing and runs an open bearing and gets lubed by the 2st oil that is injecten into the air pump.
    as for the cases post some close up pics of the damaged area, you'll be surprized what a good welder can do when others have trashed their cases.
    the oil is for the gear and the little bearing next to the gear and is filled during assembly.
    you can run premix anyway, just not the Di
    get a new bearing and seal, preferably jap or german bearing, mark the weight accross the shaft i use a chisel, press off the old bearing and weight, again i do them at once as it keeps the shaft straight but it takes more pressure, then press them on one at a time remembering to align your marks as good as you can, its not as exact as a crank. You might as well do the other side while your at it but do one at a time

+1
    Maybe try and post a picture of the cracked case. Really depends on where its cracked. Most times as "winterstick" posted they can be welded and remachined back .

+1
    These cases where welded and machined and are still going 150 hrs on them now.

(sorry mod wouldnt let me edit previous post.)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PHOTO%20%20%20%20%20262.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	163.7 KB 
ID:	146228  

Thanks for the info... there is a hair line crack on the case around where the actual counter balance spins, the crack is on both cases all the way around the housing for that individual weight.. Thanks

Thread Information