Banned User

Steering peice broke

Hey guys i have a 98 XPL with UMI steering and Skat pump with auto drop, and yesterday the plastic nut that the steering rod comes out of at the back of the ski broke, and the ski started to take on water, is this just a old part that needs to be replaced or do u think i have a issue with the steering setup?? its part # 50 http://partsfinder.onlinemicrofiche....e=13&A=55&B=21

Banned User
    also is this a hard thing to fix what all is involed with replacing it since the rod and stuff goes through it, or should i try to use some epoxy and put it back together since the nut is ok, just broke off the threads?

that`s the O ring seal, collet and nut to secure the cable. don`t mess around with any epoxy. that plastic is weird and prolly won`t stick...

just order new and fix it... not hard to do, but if the top of the nut broke or cracked off you might have to wrestle with it with needle nose pliers or something to spin out the broken part...

Banned User
    yeah the top of the nut is no longer connected to the threads so i just need that nut and it just slides on over the rod once i take the rod off the nozzle and thats it. yeah i know its gonna be a PITA to get those threads out of there. I might just use a hacksaw blade and see if i can break it and pull it out.

Quote Originally Posted by JonnyRXT View Post
    yeah the top of the nut is no longer connected to the threads so i just need that nut and it just slides on over the rod once i take the rod off the nozzle and thats it. yeah i know its gonna be a PITA to get those threads out of there. I might just use a hacksaw blade and see if i can break it and pull it out.
    you have to unscrew it...
    if water is leaking even tho the threaded part is still in there, get a new seal as well and the little split pieces to. those collets grab a notch in the cable housing, and the plastic nut tightens all that against the seal inside the bore od the threaded part, you`ll see once you get it apart...
    it just might be a PITA because the steering cable will be stiff and you might want to remove it out from the hole to inspect the grooves and clean it up...

Banned User
    ok so its not hard to do then, i ordered like 3 parts, the nut, and 2 seals or something, its like part 50,52,and 53 anything else i will need. well it only has water coming in when u push the steering rod back into the ski, it turns left and goes straight but not right lol

Thread Information