Napkins........ I Fly a Starship seajm's Avatar

WJ 500 to 650 conv.

Just found a Wavejammer in really good condition. The motor is locked up tight. I want to do a 500 to 650 conv. The pump is perfect so i do not want to change that. From what I've read a 650 will drop right in with lx650 bed plates, am I correct? If so, What is a lx650? Thanks

yes it should bolt in ....the lx 650 bed plate's are the aluminum that the motor sits on and is then bolted on to the motormounts ..these are already bolted down into the hull ( same rubber mounts!)... the wj pump is the same set up as the lx ( see a wr500 it's the same hull just with out a 650 ) your issue may be room as the 650 has a different intermediate shaft..(still should bolt with the 3 bolts to the bulkhead...) if you stick with the wj intermediate you may have to come up with some sort of adapter for the engine.. (will be a cool set up for sure)... the motors exhaust is going to be an issue in that you may have to get tubes bent to adapt to the waterbox and out.... electric box is different also..

.look in the o/e parts look ups to get some ideas on what your looking at...

Quote Originally Posted by w/rpm500 View Post
    yes it should bolt in ....the lx 650 bed plate's are the aluminum that the motor sits on and is then bolted on to the motormounts ..these are already bolted down into the hull ( same rubber mounts!)... the wj pump is the same set up as the lx ( see a wr500 it's the same hull just with out a 650 ) your issue may be room as the 650 has a different intermediate shaft..(still should bolt with the 3 bolts to the bulkhead...) if you stick with the wj intermediate you may have to come up with some sort of adapter for the engine.. (will be a cool set up for sure)... the motors exhaust is going to be an issue in that you may have to get tubes bent to adapt to the waterbox and out.... electric box is different also..

.look in the o/e parts look ups to get some ideas on what your looking at...
    I'm just trying to figure out what a LX650 is I've never heard it before. I would like to know what I'm hunting before I start hunting

an lx 650 is the same hull as a 500, its marked an lx 650, on the cowl only... you'd have to know it for sure by looking at the motor as most stickers have been removed by now... once again, look in the oe parts finder in 89/91 .. i have bought lx 650 hulls that were said to be wr 500 hulls, with out running gear in them...so i know these will bolt up. check images in yahoo or aol, you should be able to find an example..

I have a 1990 Waverunner 650 LX

Hi,
    I saw your post, and happen to have a 1990 Waverunner 650 LX. The motor is dissasembled ( the crank went bad ) The cases are good and I have a good cylinder too. Would sell you all the parts you want reasonably.
    Just so you know, I've thought about doing this very same idea putting a 650 into a Jammer. but Was gonna make it a 700.
    To utilize this extra power you can still use your 500 pump, but at the very least you need to put in a taller impeller (stainless). Or put the 650 pump with its taller impeller all ready installed in. (I still have mine and it's in good shape if interested)
    about the electrical box; there should be room in the hull to easily just bolt it in.
    Let us know how it goes and exactly what you had to do.
    Thanks
    Matt
    815-341-5321

I'm actually doing that same conversion. I have a very clean 1988 'Jammer (with a crappy 1987 mock up hull I'm using before I do the full conversion) and I just picked up a beat up 1991 'Runner LX650. I was told that all the 650 needs is a stator. (It spins freely, but I have yet to start it). So far I've taken the 650 out of the LX and fit it in the Jammer hull. Since the output shafts are different, I also swaped short shafts. The motor slid right in! The only clearance problem I see is the spark arrestor. The stock one will not fit. So what I'm thinking I'll do is just get an aftermarket K&N setup, this should alleviate that problem. Other than that, I can't see any other problems. The exhaust routing looks to be the able to work without modifications as well. I'll take pics soon and post for you guys to give you a better idea of what it looks like.

Let me know what you guys are doing, what you think I should do differently or if you need any help.

Have a good one!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WaveJammer.jpg 
Views:	139 
Size:	8.6 KB 
ID:	148623   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Jammer Empty Side view.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	66.1 KB 
ID:	148624   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Jammer Empty Topview.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	71.6 KB 
ID:	148625   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Jammer Empty Sidetopview.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	72.6 KB 
ID:	148626  

Here's some pics of the 650 shoe-horned into the mockup Jammer hull. As you can see the stock spark arrestor won't fit without modification. (Note, the hull is cracked right where the spark arrestor is. This is not from the install but from some idiot kid who crashed the Jammer before I got it. That's why this is only a "mockup hull") The other pic shows the exhaust hooked up to the stock tubing with no mods. With the spark arrestor off, the engine cover fits without any interference.

Now all I have to do is find a way to mount the 650 electrical box, and as wb800 stated, mount the pump from the 650LX in the Jammer. Once that's all fit up I'm going to strip down and repaint the clean '88 hull and get it ready for next summer!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	650 in Jammer top.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	73.7 KB 
ID:	148831   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	spark arrestor.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	68.3 KB 
ID:	148832   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	exhaust.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	34.7 KB 
ID:	148833  

normally the f/a goes front to back on the long side, on a 500.. is it possible to turn this or just re-drill new holes to get it to clear with the 650 ?...

Quote Originally Posted by wb800 View Post
    Hi,
    I saw your post, and happen to have a 1990 Waverunner 650 LX. The motor is dissasembled ( the crank went bad ) The cases are good and I have a good cylinder too. Would sell you all the parts you want reasonably.
    Just so you know, I've thought about doing this very same idea putting a 650 into a Jammer. but Was gonna make it a 700.
    To utilize this extra power you can still use your 500 pump, but at the very least you need to put in a taller impeller (stainless). Or put the 650 pump with its taller impeller all ready installed in. (I still have mine and it's in good shape if interested)
    about the electrical box; there should be room in the hull to easily just bolt it in.
    Let us know how it goes and exactly what you had to do.
    Thanks
    Matt

815-341-5321
    Yes I need the lx650 bed plates ........Thanks, Sean

Any new news on your Jammer 650 project?

Thread Information