Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

89 waverunner fuel prob?

Have '89 Waverunner that was running great all day, I hit a large wake and suddenly there was some rattling from the engine compartment, problem was the jump dislodged the hood prop which incidently caused the spark plug wire to come undone, dont ask me how it just did. so now after I put that back on the ski will now only idle, on the water with rider on it, as soon as throttel is applied it dies. when no passsenger is aboard and tied to the dock it will go full throttle without dieing.

It has a full tank of good fuel, thought initially it was just out of fuel, I did end up putting six gallons in it. (50:1 ratio)

does anyone have any idea as to what the problem may be?

I've checked everything I can think of from fuel to compression to carb.

Thanks

hood prop on the 500 come off alot.. bungy it in and it wont happen again.. your jump may have knocked off the pickup tubes and filter in the tank on the ON side.. try running it on reserve and see what it does other wise id go thru the carb.. you may have knocked a bunch of crud or water loose that was laying in low spots of the fuel system and now it wont clear out...you were empty at about 5.3 gal or so.. the rider will change the plane of the ski and the pickups ability to get fuel of the bottom of the tank....

Thanks for the input.

Checked tubes - tubes were all right, there were no filters on the ends though,(both ON and RES.) could that present a problem, as I stated the tank is full.

checked and cleaned entire carb, was slightly dirty.

we'll see what happens going to the lake in about two hours.

wish me luck.

Fail -

I dont know what the problem is. once again it idles just fine and when I was off the ski and nosed it up to the dock it throttled just fine, all the way to max RPM, sounded good too. as soon as I got on and gassed it, it died.

Now I have checked everything twice and every thing seems good.

the only difference between this one and the other one I have is the other one has filters on the end of the fuel lines in the tank? (own 2 '89 500's)

so whats the deal? runs great as long as no one sits on it?

One of the pros will correct me if I'm wrong, so wait for a response. I've been having rpm loss that I think is due to not enough air. One of the guys suggested cutting holes in the seat (still need to see pics of that) to allow more air flow. My seat seals around where the air vent hoses come up from the engine compartment. Does your seat maybe seal the air flow off when someone sits on it (or maybe even pinching off a hose)? This is TOTALLY an off the wall guess, so may be way off, but can't hurt to check.

on a 500 the front is an intake for fresh air and also where the seat locks in place at the front are double intakes ( one is open streight the other is via a tube to let it skip over the intermediate)

try running em both with out the seat on it and see what it does.. still say its fuel related

Quote Originally Posted by w/rpm500 View Post
    on a 500 the front is an intake for fresh air and also where the seat locks in place at the front are double intakes ( one is open streight the other is via a tube to let it skip over the intermediate)

try running em both with out the seat on it and see what it does.. still say its fuel related
    Is there any way some part of the fuel line could be getting crimped or pinched when the weight of the rider pushes on the seat? Shouldn't he try doing it standing up with the seat on also? Sounds kind of kinky when you say in that way...

Is there any way some part of the fuel line could be getting crimped or pinched when the weight of the rider pushes on the seat? Shouldn't he try doing it standing up with the seat on also? Sounds kind of kinky when you say it that way...

One runs just fine all day every day the other one is the one with the problems.

I also think it has to be fuel related (hence the topic title)

is there any way to drain the tank on one of these without either removing the tank or siphoning it. (or tipping it on its side). I want to try new fuel.

No lines are being pinched. air intake is just fine.

Standing or sitting didnt seem to matter. it's all about why it does this when a rider is on the ski and it runs fine without a rider on it?

One more suggestion then I'll leave it to you guys. Have you tried it on the trailer, both in and out of the water, where you can have a rider aboard without changing the angle of the ski with your body weight? Trailer down in the water (with stern strapped down) might also give it the same attitude as when you sit on it in the water. I'll sit back and read now - good luck!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information