Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Crankcase full of water, To thick to pump??

I am helping a friend that just got back his ski after a divorce (judge ordered it returned) The ski is a 2006 GTX 4 tec. He got it started but then called me for help. The crankcase is full of water but it is to thick to pump out I really do not want to run it in its current state to heat it up. Any suggestions?? We have no idea how long the water has been in there, could be months.

Banned User
    gonna have to tear it down and check bearings and seals, cause water does a number on that stuff, I just got lucky and did a 951 that was water logged and seems to be filled up with water and didnt need a full rebuild, but only time will tell.

flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    +1
    its either tearing it down to make sure or wait for detonation...sucks either way. is there any way he can prove that she screwed it up? if so he may be able to get a new engine out of her through small claims court...

as for the oil. you should be able to pump it all out but your going to have to do multiple oil changes to get all the water out for sure...BTW is this a saltwater ski? if it is you might as well start wrenching

Quote Originally Posted by airbornexp View Post
    its either tearing it down to make sure or wait for detonation...sucks either way. is there any way he can prove that she screwed it up? if so he may be able to get a new engine out of her through small claims court...

as for the oil. you should be able to pump it all out but your going to have to do multiple oil changes to get all the water out for sure...BTW is this a saltwater ski? if it is you might as well start wrenching
    He is an attorney so he can handle that.

I get the whole multiple oil change thing but the reason for my post is how to get the oil out, as stated it is to thick to pump out.

flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    +1
    how is it too thick? there is a pump that can pull it out of the dipstick tube. you should be able to pick that up anywhere,,

Quote Originally Posted by airbornexp View Post
    how is it too thick? there is a pump that can pull it out of the dipstick tube. you should be able to pick that up anywhere,,
    The water and emulsified oil mixed together is to thick. I have two pumps one is a manual and the other is a drill pump neither one will suck it out. I don;t want to run the engine to heat it up ( thin it out) because of the water in the crankcase.

PM JD1 and ask him about how he did it. He was telling us about one that was full of water and his pump wouldn't pull out the stuff that looks like cake batter, he removed the jet pump and driveshaft and let the oil run out of the PTO. there was more to it than this but I can't remember all of the details well enough to tell you.

+1
    I would fill with diesel fuel, to break down and thin out the milky sludge, let it sit for a while, and try to pump out. It would be better if u could spin it over with the plugs out to mix it up good. Flush, and repete a few times.

+1
    if you want to heat the oil up thay make a magnetic heat pad for oil pans on trucks thay also have a dipstick heater

hope that helps

john

+1
    if theres that much water in the crankcase, you might as well pull the oil filter out now, its just gonna collapse anyway. i agree diesel fuel, to basically wash the crancase out.
    have you determined theres no residual water in te air intake system, SC, intake manifold????
    if so, then i guess try to resurrect the engine, or at least purge teh bad oil.
    add some fogging oil to the cyliders thru the sparkplug holes first, you might as well start lubing the cylinder walls now, no telling how rusted they are...
    add 1/2 quart diesel, pull the plugs and crank over, for 5 seconds, wait 30 seconds, crank over for 5 more, wait 30, crank for 5 more... you dont want to burn up your starter, but want to do this for about 5 minutes to really mix the diesel.(hold down the throttle to wide open, this is "drown mode", ignition will not fire, no point stressing the ignition system with plugs out and so much cranking)then try to pump it out.
    if the oil doesnt pump yet, add another 1/2 quart of diesel. repeat.
    assuming its gonna pump out eventually, you should get 3.5 to 4.5 quarts of sludge out.
    then add only 3 quarts regualar mineral oil, cheap stuff, back in. try to start mixing fresh clean oil with the residual sludge, after mixing for 5 to 10 minutes with the starter, check the oil, if it looks 1/2 decent, put new plugs in, put the old filter back in if its usable, and try to start it, let it run/IDLE for 2 minutes on the hose, then shut it down and check the oil.
    probably will be milky.
    pull out 3 more quarts, add 3 fresh quarts, then go run on the lake for 5 minutes or so to properly warm up and check the oil level, also look if its milky again, assuming decent oil level, not milky, ride it for 1/2 hour, real gentle, i would not go above 5000 rpm. check oil when done. i would probalby change oil 1 more time, since you put in deisel, and there was that much water.
    after all that, you should seriously consider a tear down, assuming it didnt already blow up... with water in the crancase for that long, no telling what the bottom end looks like, and moisture inside the engine will rust everything, valves cylinders, bearings, and unfortunately you need to look inside to see whats damaged. or you are just waiting for something to fail. best case, by some miracle, not much air was in there with the water and no real rust occured, it takes air to cause oxidation, aka rust. so it is possible, bottom end is still working/salvageable, but i worry that that much moisture, crept up and rusted cylinders/valves where theres more air exposure.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information