Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

1996 Seadoo SPX tips

Hi, I bought a 1996 SPX with a bad top end. I rebuilt entire motor and took it out for the first time. I was very suprised that is is very easy to roll this thing. When your even sitting still and you lean it just wants to roll over. With two people its impossible to ride on a choppy day. Is this normal and is there anything I can do to improve?

flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    +1
    yep thats normal...equivalent of a street bike. just have to get used to riding it thats all. not much you can do besides get a bigger ski. learn how to ride it and jump some wake and catch some serious air!

Quote Originally Posted by chuckydoo View Post
    Hi, I bought a 1996 SPX with a bad top end. I rebuilt entire motor and took it out for the first time. I was very suprised that is is very easy to roll this thing. When your even sitting still and you lean it just wants to roll over. With two people its impossible to ride on a choppy day. Is this normal and is there anything I can do to improve?
    Riding 2 up isn't impossible in chop by any means. You both have to have good balance and be on the same page. I rode 2 up for about 10 miles on Saturday in 4-6ft chop. Talk about being sore

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by DooMeister View Post
    Riding 2 up isn't impossible in chop by any means. You both have to have good balance and be on the same page. I rode 2 up for about 10 miles on Saturday in 4-6ft chop. Talk about being sore
    lol! ive done that before! my ass has never been so sore, I got the crap beat out of me...I think that it took me 20 mins to go a mile

My wifey just has no balance at all thats why she has a 3 seater. The other thing is that it did porpoise alot. My VTS motor control is bad and i just set the trim to the middle position. Do you think I should go one way or the other to settle it down a little more?

+1
    you can fix the VTS and still adjust the trim arm to trim it higher or lower...its really a simple fix

Explain, Right now I am out of work and spending the $150-200 for a used VTS control is out of the question if i want to stay married.

+1
    you can pull it out and test it on a car battery. dont worry about getting the wires right cause it works with polarity reversed. its basically a power window unit. so pull it out and test it on a battery....BTW have you checked the fuses in the front gray box? There is one there for the VTS. If you have done all this and still no go there are plenty of people here that have the parts that you are looking for a lot cheaper than new.

Air, i already spent alot of time trouble shooting VTS. It is blowing the fuse. I tested the motor itself and it is good. It seems the control box which is mounted on the back side of the VTS motor housing got corroded and needs to be replaced. A lot of people say that once you get the angle set right you ready don't need the VTS.

Quote Originally Posted by airbornexp View Post
    lol! ive done that before! my ass has never been so sore, I got the crap beat out of me...I think that it took me 20 mins to go a mile
    Believe it or not, my ass wasn't the part that got killed, it was the back side of my shoulders and my back. Yeah it took a LOOONG time to get to Iowa island. Needless to say that was the 1 and only time I rode last weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by chuckydoo View Post
    Air, i already spent alot of time trouble shooting VTS. It is blowing the fuse. I tested the motor itself and it is good. It seems the control box which is mounted on the back side of the VTS motor housing got corroded and needs to be replaced. A lot of people say that once you get the angle set right you ready don't need the VTS.
    http://www.sea-doo.net/techarticles/vts/index.html might be of some use to you. I used this troubleshooting page to fix mine.

In short, no vts is not necessary. But by that logic neither are the rave valves or all your gauges. Trimming down will help the porpoising when riding 2 up, it will also help you turn a lot harder when riding solo. Trimming up will help out jumping waves.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information