1988 wave jammer

recently bought a 1988 wave jammer for my son who just got back from Iraq. Cleaned gas and put a new carb on it. It seems to run poorly at higher revs. Fired it up in garage and same thing. I did notice what seemed to me to be a fair amount of ehxause coming in engine compartment. Is this normal for this model? Can the rev limiter be what is causing the poor high speed running? Any help will be greatly appreciated. I can not give to my son until its running correctly.

my replys

[quote=GCHAR;1174624]recently bought a 1988 wave jammer for my son who just got back from Iraq. Cleaned gas and put a new carb on it. It seems to run poorly at higher revs.where did you set the needles? they sould be out 7/8 open on both to start,, is this a bn or an sbn?( bn has a round body diaphram and the sbn has a square set up) Fired it up in garage and same thing. I did notice what seemed to me to be a fair amount of ehxause coming in engine compartment.check your hoses and fittings on the water box ( this is the box wedjed on the side of the motor wher the exhaust hoses are connected.. the 500 motor is notorious for having a burned muffler plate to engine gasket also...is usually blows out and smokes up thru the plate and the block at the side on the left rear near the topIs this normal for this model? Can the rev limiter be what is causing the poor high speed running? ... the rev limiter wont kick in till about 5500 rpm shouldnt be that... check your coils and spark plugs in the dark to see if they are grounding out, as these are over 20 years old the insulation on the wires may be cracked.. a cheap fix for them is to cover em in heat shrink tubing ..its cheap... but effective..

TELL YOU SON THANKS FOR SERVING !! get back to us with your findings maybe we can find it fairly easy and its a simple issue

1988 wave jammer

Carb that is on it now has a square body. Both needeles set almost 1 turn open. Should I change them?

Pulled hose from manifold that goes to the back of the ski off and presurized it ok. Can not tell for sure but exhust leak may be coming from the front. It looks like 2 gaskets there. Do you reccomend just replacing all the exhaust gaskets? Know of a good source?
    Spark plugs and coils seem ok, no signs of arching. Ski is only supposed to havearound 20 hours on it, they just let it sit so long with gas in it that things gummed up. It starts very quickly. Maybe once exhaust leak taken care of it will perform better.

Thank you for your reply

+1
    welcome to the forum

Quote Originally Posted by GCHAR View Post
    Carb that is on it now has a square body. Both needeles set almost 1 turn open. Should I change them? 1 1/4 on the idle circut, aprox 7/8 on the high

Pulled hose from manifold that goes to the back of the ski off and presurized it ok. Can not tell for sure but exhust leak may be coming from the front. It looks like 2 gaskets there thats the chamber baffle where it turns down into the rubber hose that feeds the water box . Do you reccomend just replacing all the exhaust gaskets? the one that burns out usually is in the rear the motor must be pulled to do it Know of a good source?comex gaskets work fine , ebay is a likely sourse for a cheaper set..
    Spark plugs and coils seem ok, no signs of arching. Ski is only supposed to havearound 20 hours on it, they just let it sit so long with gas in it that things gummed up. It starts very quickly. Maybe once exhaust leak taken care of it will perform better.with the carb changed its possible that you may still starve it for fuel. how are your hoses and filters? also check your pulse line that feeds from the block to the carb for cracks ( this will affect fuel pressure it can attain)

Thank you for your reply

1988 wave jammer

Thank you. I am going to pop out the motor and look at it this weekend. Any tricks with this ski?

you can cheat a bit... only take out the mounts off the hull (2 bolts each) not the single bolt of the motor plates to mounts ( other wise you have to play the shim game)
    .. there are then two fuel hoses( take em off the tank) the electrical box off the side plate( take it out with the motor) .. the single hose at the waterbox, the water feed hose from the pump, at the back of the motor.. the two battery cables...(take em out with the motor) and the choke and throttle cable ( via the adjustable ends),you can do this also taking off the carb and swinging the mount plate up and out of the way, its then easy as you dont have to remount and adjust the cables again
    slide the motor forward and out lifiting it via the front and up and out.. in is the same way , thu you may have to tilt it a bit to jet it right.. .. your coupler in back when readjusting must ride fairly free with a bit of a air gap evenly all the way around.. get a good camera that focuses close and record your steps... the wj is by far the easyest motor to remove from a ski.. it has more room than the wr has up top at the cowl cover.. any question give me a shout!!

1988 wave jammer

You were correct. There is a gasket blown. It looks like it is the big main gasket on the end of the motor. I will now need to get these gaskets before I can go further

2 of the motor mounts look to be bad also. Any good source on those?

Once again thank you so much for your help.
    Last edited by GCHAR; 08-22-2009 at 05:21 PM. Reason: update on trouble.

Thread Information