04 RXP sputtering after landing jumps

I was out on the water today with my 04 RXP and the ski runs great until you land a jump and the hull slams. If the ski just hops out of the water there is no issue but if it slams down hard the motor starts to bog down and sputter. It feels like there is a rev limiter at 3K RPM. If I let off the throttle for a sec and get back on it smoothly it will clear out. If It starts to sputter and I got WOT it will just keep sputtering... Any ideas?

Nothin' better than Doo'in it! BigDaddyRXP's Avatar
    +1
    The RXP is not designed to be a jumper... buy an XP for that crap

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by mlidzct View Post
    I was out on the water today with my 04 RXP and the ski runs great until you land a jump and the hull slams. If the ski just hops out of the water there is no issue but if it slams down hard the motor starts to bog down and sputter. It feels like there is a rev limiter at 3K RPM. If I let off the throttle for a sec and get back on it smoothly it will clear out. If It starts to sputter and I got WOT it will just keep sputtering... Any ideas?
    Its normal. The TOPS sensor puts it into limp mode. The hard slams trick the sensor.

+1
    I have a new rxp-x that does the exact same thing. Its pretty sensitive as it doesnt take much to set it off. It sputters for about 3 seconds then its perfectly normal again.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by speedskixp View Post
    Its normal. The TOPS sensor puts it into limp mode. The hard slams trick the sensor.
    Yup. Or when the ski gets to a certain vertical angle the sensor begins to cut the engine off. It can be bypassed.

Your pump could also be filling up with air. You should let off the throttle when you come unhooked and then when you land accelerate slowly and let your pump fill back up with water.

And I agree, buy an XP or stand up for wave jumping. I did.

The rxp is good for going fast and thats about it. Fun for what it is but NOT a freestyle ski.

Thanks for the help! (except telling me not to jump my ski, thats kind of lame, where I ride its inevitable...)

What does this sensor do and is it safe to bypass?

+1
    i jump the crap out my ski going vertical when i can and i've never had any issues, maybe its cause i let off the throttle after i hit the wake

Quote Originally Posted by meeper View Post
    i jump the crap out my ski going vertical when i can and i've never had any issues, maybe its cause i let off the throttle after i hit the wake
    I tried both letting off and staying on the throttle and it doesnt matter.

I didnt have the problem before so Im thinking that sensor needs replacing if its acting up frequently now.

Most landings dont affect it but its when the hull makes that slam sound that it does it. Sometimes its not even an intentional jump, Ill get caught in the wake of a couple big boats at once and the water drops out from under my ski and it slams.

Thread Information