Need Help on STX 12 F Impeller Noise

New owner here. Have 2003 12F getting loud noise from impeller area, buzzing in body also. Just started last couple trips, loud enough now to cause headache. Has +/- 170 hrs. How big of a job is it to replace all bearings / seals in pump /impeller? I have very good mechanical skills and access to many tools. Any comments, suggestions, advice, photos ect. would be appriciated. Thanks ED

+1
    Take the pump off and see if the impeller is scraping the side of the stainless housing. If not I believe you can rebuild it pretty easily. Taking the impeller off is the hardest thing in my book. You will need the impeller tool, a vise (with the holder makes it easier) and you should use a bearing press. Get a book which there are a lot of them on ebay and go to work. If the impeller is dragging then you need to have it re-sleeved which when mine went bad I sent it away and they re-sleeved it and rebuilt it the same time.

+1
    Make sure it is not coming from your water box. I had an issue where the baffle came loose and i thought it was the thru hull bearing well a lot of work later it was just the water box.

I'm suspecting the same things with mine (water box) BUT, I removed the waterbox, thinking that if I shake it around, I'd hear whatever it is rattling around, but I don't. And now the ski is too noisy to tell if it's still doing it

Pain is fear leaving your body.... rlovebk's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Jade View Post
    New owner here. Have 2003 12F getting loud noise from impeller area, buzzing in body also. Just started last couple trips, loud enough now to cause headache. Has +/- 170 hrs. How big of a job is it to replace all bearings / seals in pump /impeller? I have very good mechanical skills and access to many tools. Any comments, suggestions, advice, photos ect. would be appriciated. Thanks ED
    Sounds like pump bearings. Hopefully you haven't ran it long this way and your wear ring, impeller and shaft are ok.
    Remove the reverse bucket, Remove steering cable and cooling hoses. You should also have 2 allen bolts to remove on the bottom thru the ride plate. Once you take the pump bolts out you can use a 2-3' 2X4 and just wedge it in there like a lever on 3 sides and it should come loose.
    Let us know what you find. Pix!

Thread Information