Rough Weekend for New Yamaha owner

This past weekend a I bought a '97 Yamaha GP760 from a guy off of CL. I looked it over reallly good, at least as much as possible without lifting off a trailer. It started right up and ran real well.

Fast forward to Saturday. I brought it to my cabin and we put it in the water to go out and have some fun. It started and ran really well and I idled out of the river into the lake and everything was going great. It ran like a scalded dog.

My family spent about an hour and a half running the ski around the lake when my son came back to our pontoon base station and he was going to put my other son on board when the back end was quite low in the water and the ski was very tippy. To keep it short, I had them get off and we towed it to shore because I thought it was going to sink right there.

When I got to shore I found water 3/4 up the engine. The battery was covered, the whole rear part of the ski was full. At this point I had no clue what had happened. I checked the plugs and they were in. The enigine also would not run. I tipped the ski over to the left (opposite the carbs) to drain the water and got a good portion of it out and it still would not start.

So I left it there and went to get the trailer. When I got it in the trailer, to my horror, water started pouring out the bottom of the hull where I found fiberglass chunks missing and a big flap of loose FG and gelcoat.

After having a few beers (and crying in them), I found a guy who does fiberglass work to have a look at it. He knew right away, that there had been a trauma to the bottom of the hull and that some goofball did a poor repair using regular fiberglass and poly resin. These skis have a SMC (sheet molded compund) hull that requires an epoxy based fix. The fiberglass and resin had separated from ther original hull and let the water in. He says the worst case would be $1000 for the repair. I ma hoping for much less of course as I bought it for $1500.

To be honest, this freaked me out as this is the kind of situation you read about people drowning.

So here is my question. I tried to get the motor to pop off after I had drained the water and could not get it to go. I verified that I have spark. I also verifed compression by holding my thumb over the spark plug hole (didn't have my compression guage with me). I was even able to get it to run by putting some premix in the cylinders. What should I look for as I try to get this thing operational? Do I need to pull the carbs or is there a drain on the bowls. I suspect that there may be water in the bowls. I assume all the electroncs are sealed and should be impervious to water entry. Is there something in the fuel system i should be aware of? The water never reached the top of the tank or the oil resvoir.

At this point it just cranks and will not start.

As for what I am going to do about this with the seller, I am taking care of that and he is aware that small claims may be in his future.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by rogerwa View Post
    So here is my question. I tried to get the motor to pop off after I had drained the water and could not get it to go. I verified that I have spark. I also verifed compression by holding my thumb over the spark plug hole (didn't have my compression guage with me). I was even able to get it to run by putting some premix in the cylinders. What should I look for as I try to get this thing operational?
    Get it running tonight if at all possible. Water on the steel crank is bad news!!!! Also, if you ingest a bunch of water into the cylinder with the spark plug inserted you can cause the engine to hyrdolock and possibly bend or break a rod.

With the spark plugs out, ground the plug wires and use the start to turn the engine over to ensure all water is out of the case. If you can then get it started, great. At bare minimum, spray fogging oil or 2-stroke oil into the cylinders and carbs while cranking the engine. You need to get the steel parts coated ASAP to hopefully not allow rust to develop.

KJ

Quote Originally Posted by rogerwa View Post
    So here is my question. I tried to get the motor to pop off after I had drained the water and could not get it to go. I verified that I have spark. I also verifed compression by holding my thumb over the spark plug hole (didn't have my compression guage with me). I was even able to get it to run by putting some premix in the cylinders. What should I look for as I try to get this thing operational? Do I need to pull the carbs or is there a drain on the bowls. I suspect that there may be water in the bowls. I assume all the electroncs are sealed and should be impervious to water entry. Is there something in the fuel system i should be aware of? The water never reached the top of the tank or the oil resvoir.

This is a little easier to focus on.....

Drain the carbs for sure, Im sure a coil or two could have got water somewhere or maybe a short in a circut. I would not be much help maybe some of the other guys might chime in, welcome to the forums

johnsonmtz, LOL I was typing mine up when you posted, lol

Johnsonmtz, that was my concern in trying to get it running. I have an old '76 9.8 outboard that I have sunk twice (long story there) and I have cleaned out and gotten running and is extremly reliable, thanks in part to the right actions after immersion.

I did pull the plugs and crank it to clear out anything in there and did have it running for ~20 seconds. I also poured premix down the carb throats and into the cylinder holes. Hopefully that will suffice until I can get it back and get her running.

Bummer

Just heard back from the FG guy that this trauma underneath the poor patch will take quite a bit to repair. Unless I can work out a barter deal with him for some cabin time in lieu of FG work, I may end up having to part this out. I am not sure plunking $1000+ inot FG repair is worth it on a ski that only cost me $1500.

When I had this out running it ran perfect and I have every reason to believe I can get her running again. If all the mechanicals are good, what could I expect to part it out for. Could I recoup a good portion of the $1500 I have in it??

Thanks fro your opinions. Anyone interested in some GP760 parts?

Could you please post the guys name who sold it too you and where he is from ( town/city).
    This way, others will know not to deal with him.

Insted of paying for the hull to be fixed, look in the classified section for a hull or make a WTB posting for one.

I have since traced the history of this ski and found the guy who sold it ot me lied his butt off several times. I have all I need to take him to court and win. I am giving him the opportunity to get off easy and just give me my money back.

I have also told him I am willing to call the local police and find out if there is a criminal offense here - Intent to Deceive/fraud etc.

He is a lying scumbag. Once I get my money back I will be scouring CL and ensure he doesn't rip off anyone else..

Thread Information