+1

Oops, gas in oil tank

A friend of mine borrowed his friends 1997 Seadoo GTI and accidently filled the oil tank with gas. If I remember correctly, there are three oil lines from the oil tank. I haven't had a chance to look at the manual, but any advice would be appreciated. He ran it for about 20 minutes before realizing there was a place to put gas on the side of the Seadoo.

Was his name Hitman?

He did this to my old GTX and had to drain the oil/gas mixture out. Did not seem to cause any issues.

+1
    The tank will, of course, need to be drained. I would also drain the RV shaft cavity and the oil pump feed line and replace the oil filter.

Just as a precaution I would put a light pre-mix (say a quart for a tank of fuel) in as a bit of backup.

Then, explain to the owner that if you are going to gamble on letting someone take your boat (the odds go way down when it is someone who has not owned any) then you can at least take five minutes to explain a few very important things.

One, show them where the gas and oil goes and explain the rather unfortunate consequences of error in this regard.

Two, show them the drain plugs. In fact, tell him to just put the plugs in and tell the destroyer, I mean borrower, to leave them the hell alone.

Three, show them the fuel valve and tell them to run it on reserve (tough choice, there, but I would rather them not forget to switch it and lean one out or try to switch while running and lean one out, of course, they may still run it out of gas but most noobs will not ride enough to burn out an entire tank, especially on a big boat).

Four, explain the roll-over sticker and that the boat WILL SINK if not rolled back over and that the engine WILL BE damaged if rolled over wrong and an attempt to start is made.

Then tell him the most important thing to remember about letting noobs take your boat...DON'T. If they want to ride and you want to let them, go with them, show them the ropes.

Whew, ok, I am done now. Get all that oil out and add a little pre-mix and maybe it will be ok.

+1
    Well, I helped him drain all the oil and filter today. Wasn't that hard. While we were at it, I showed him the fuel filter in the carburetor. It was the worst one I have ever seen. I think by making the gas in oil mistake, he saved his friend an engine by cleaning out the filter.

Had a customer put Diesel in a DI Fuel tank once. Didnt have the nads to see if it would run... LOL DI stands for Diesel doesnt it?

Thread Information