Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Unhappy Rxt water in intake manifold

2007 RXT STAGE 2ish (mods in signature) Stock closed loop coolant system with antifreeze.

After only approx 10-15 minutes riding time, running like chit. Removed the seat out on the lake and the intercooler to intake pipe was stone cold with heavy condensation on the outside of it, put it on the trailer.

Removed the stock intercooler block-off plug and discovered LAKE water in intake manifold (like a full cup) and a little (2 ounces or so) in the intercooler to intake tube.

Thinking the intercooler was leaking, I removed and pressure checked the ROTAX RACING intercooler with 45 p.s.i. air pressure (hooked up air line to the 5/8" fittings), can't hear/see any leaks.

4" air intake up front w/filter, that's bone dry!! S/C is bone dry also.

How else can the lake water possibly be getting in?????

put some water on the other side of the core from the air pressure to see if it blows bubbles

Quote Originally Posted by GTXX View Post
    put some water on the other side of the core from the air pressure to see if it blows bubbles
    THANX for the suggestion, I just got back from the garage, srayed soapy water all over the outside of the intercooler with 45 p.s.i. of air pressure, had pressure on it for 1/2 hour, can't find/see and bubbles???

Still open for suggestions I'm baffled on this one.

why are you using air. Put a garden hose on the core. House garden hoses usually run at 50lbs you can use a cheap water pressure connection as well (lowes). Then look in the air holes and see if water is dripping.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Kinchyle View Post
    why are you using air. Put a garden hose on the core. House garden hoses usually run at 50lbs you can use a cheap water pressure connection as well (lowes). Then look in the air holes and see if water is dripping.

Gotcha, I'll try that now.

Was using air last night as I was doing it inside @ Midnight. Didn't want to drag in the garden hose.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Kinchyle View Post
    Ran water through the I/C for 1 1/2 hours with the I/C standing up in a empty 5-gallon bucket. Took out less than a half a shot glass of water, possibly from condensation as the exterior of the I/C has condensation on it?? It's mid 80's here and humid water is stone cold Ran the water through reverse direction (now the the I/C is colder)and there's a few drops inside @ the bottom (condensation again??) but nothing that would even pour out.

Any other thoughts??

Bow chicka wow wow
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by kraven View Post
    Ran water through the I/C for 1 1/2 hours with the I/C standing up in a empty 5-gallon bucket. Took out less than a half a shot glass of water, possibly from condensation as the exterior of the I/C has condensation on it?? It's mid 80's here and humid water is stone cold Ran the water through reverse direction (now the the I/C is colder)and there's a few drops inside @ the bottom (condensation again??) but nothing that would even pour out.

Any other thoughts??
    Pressure testing doesn't produce any heat that core is subject too. I've seen cracks open up after heat is introduced into the picture. Narrow down all the possibilities and then make a decision on what to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Pirates81 View Post
    Pressure testing doesn't produce any heat that core is subject too. I've seen cracks open up after heat is introduced into the picture. Narrow down all the possibilities and then make a decision on what to do.

I hear you on the heat issue, what started all of this is late last year I ran it in shallow water (Yeah, dumb thing to do, and I know better) , sucked up sand, clogged the strainer and took on some water. Overheated the exhaust, broke the baffle in the waterbox, rubber jacket around the waterbox slighly damaged. The engine ingested some water, changed oil 5+ times ot clear it up and the Ski has been down on power ever since. Now is it possible that that overheat situation last fall damaged the intercooler??????

Took it to the dealer, absolutely useless.

Now yesterday when this occurred, the Ski was only running for 15 minutes @ most. Any chance that this water could be from condensation, I know that might be a stretch but the Lake water was colder than usual yesterday, 64 * ????

Or do I re-install the stock intercooler and go from there?

+1
    You say your pipe was stone cold and with condition. that is exactly what you want if your ic is working good.
    Try grabing the pipe from sc to ic and fill the difference.
    As far as the water in manifold, that is crazy to have cup of water.
    I can't say the reason, but your going to get condensation when you cool the air that much but not measurable.
    I don't think the ic is your culprit unless you can get it to leak under pressure, which hasn't happened, unless for what ever odd reason your ic is leaken just when mounted.

Gotta love this sport! 05Limited's Avatar
    +1
    kraven... last season, did you pull the intake manifold and dump all the water after the ingestion? It sounds like this may be residual water... that stuff hides in all the nooks and crannies of the intake.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information