Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    +1

broken ride plate = tossed at 74MPH

Last Wednesday I took the SHO out for a ride after installing the Powershot for the Riva B1 wheel. I went about 1000 yards and at 74 MPH when I felt a slight bump. At first I thought it was a small wave but then the craft started to pull slightly to the right before I could react the craft turned a 90 to the right tossing me off the side. After getting back to the craft I felt under and the ride plate was missing. I was in need of a beer so I just rode back to the dock put on the lift and went to the house. This weekend I pulled out on the trailer and found that the left front bolt head had broken off. The only thing that I can think that happened is from continuous removal and replacement the it eventually weakened the metal. I have always used a torque wrench but with thread lock on the bolt it requires a higher torque to remove the bolts. Anyway now I have the stock plate back underneath and four brand new bolts in it. My plan as long as I am still tuning and removing the plate from time to time about every third time for removal I am going to replace the bolts. I sucks that I am missing the Jim's ride plate as it made a huge difference in the ride. I have pictures below of the rest of the plate that was left.

Matt
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	left full.JPG 
Views:	92 
Size:	73.7 KB 
ID:	146233   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	right full.JPG 
Views:	89 
Size:	73.5 KB 
ID:	146234   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	broken bolt.JPG 
Views:	80 
Size:	61.4 KB 
ID:	146235   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	left rear.JPG 
Views:	73 
Size:	66.5 KB 
ID:	146236   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	right rear.JPG 
Views:	85 
Size:	76.3 KB 
ID:	146237   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pieces.JPG 
Views:	74 
Size:	67.1 KB 
ID:	146238  

Moderated
    i feel your pain in losing one of jims plates due to a fastener issue as i have done something along the same lines

glad you are ok

that alloy does not look like the material I would want to be using for a ride plate. just with pics it show porous material.

glad you're ok, but there some engineering flaws in that whole setup, fasteners included.

Moderated
    Quote Originally Posted by bren View Post
    that alloy does not look like the material I would want to be using for a ride plate. just with pics it show porous material.

glad you're ok, but there some engineering flaws in that whole setup, fasteners included.

but but but bren that's top quality Riva or r&d castings right there....and they never cut corners on us ......

THE PLATE MAN JIM'S PERFORMANCE's Avatar
    +1
    Glad your ok Matt, If you take the bolts in and out many times it's a good idea to replace the bolts with new ones. Also on picture 1 and 4 there is some white residue on the piece of the plate and looks like it wore the edge down. To bad it was not a rear bolt because you would still have the plate, Once a front bolt fails it's all over water gets on top and forces the plate down and snaps it like a pretzel.

THE PLATE MAN JIM'S PERFORMANCE's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by bren View Post

I think all the plates are pored cast even the stock plates, They are not billet or forged. I Think the other issue is if you have a plate that does not give at all and a front bolt breaks like Matts did, He would probably be showing us pictures of fiberglass from his hull being ripped out because the water pressure is so great at them speeds that something has to give.

+1
    Thanks guys, yeah it hurt but nothing serious just soar the next couple of days.
    I agree with Jim. I hated very much that I lost that plate but it is better than tearing fiberglass and having that to repair as well as loosing the plate.

Matt

Wow, i was just thinking how old my plate bolts are and how many times they have been on and off, i do believe they are getting replaced before riding again.. Glad your ok...

+1
    I would recommend it. I have had my plate off about several times as well trying different things. I will replace them now more often.

Matt

+1

Glad your okay Matt...I think I will get some more bolts cause I change ride plates all the time too.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information