Amsoil Interceptor making Ski run hot

When I first got my ski a few months ago it had the exhaust temp warning going off all the time. I solved this by removing the riva exhaust temp chip and just re-connecting the sensor wire in a stock configuration.

Since then I have only ran one gallon of oil thru the ski other than what it had in it when I bought it (since it was used I'm unsure of the oil type).
    The first gallon I ran was Mercury Quicksilver that I had picked up at the local Wal-Mart and the ski ran perfectly on it. I decided that I wanted something better and after some research decided to get a case of 4 gallons of Amsoil Interceptor.

This weekend the Mercury oil finally ran down low enough to get the oil light on. So I ran it 10 minutes or so after the light as an attempt to get as much of the old oil out as possible before adding the interceptor. Then I put a whole gallon of interceptor in the ski.

I ran the ski for maybe 20 minutes or so and then the exhaust temp light came on. This is pretty disappointing for me as I was hoping the more expensive Amsoil would make my ski run better. Plus I'm now stuck with a whole case of the stuff. I realize that I could do the resistor mod but I would rather not since I know it is not needed with Mercury oil. I'd rather keep the temp monitor system functioning correctly if possible.

So--has anyone noticed this type of issue when switching oils? Specifically with Amsoil Interceptor. I did note that it seemed thinner that the Mercury for whatever that's worth. What could be going on? Maybe the Amsoil mixing with the Mercury? Or is it just the way that Amsoil makes everyone's GPR run?

I ran intersepter in my 07 gpr and never had a problem

Quote Originally Posted by JimC View Post
    I ran intersepter in my 07 gpr and never had a problem
    Does/did your ski have the d-plate and free flow exhaust?

Quote Originally Posted by javajoe View Post
    Does/did your ski have the d-plate and free flow exhaust?
    I've got a d-plate on my 06 GPR and am running interceptor, no issues at all....

its not the oil thats making it run hot

+1
    I have d-plate, resistor,and all the other mods ,no problems , I have always run amzoil interceptor oil. you need to do the resistor chip mod. This is available in the greenhulk store. http://www.4-tecperformance.com/inde...roducts_id=118 hope this helps...if you dont want that amzoil I will gladly burn it up for you.

Quote Originally Posted by txgp1300r View Post
    I have d-plate, resistor,and all the other mods ,no problems , I have always run amzoil interceptor oil. you need to do the resistor chip mod. This is available in the greenhulk store. http://www.4-tecperformance.com/inde...roducts_id=118 hope this helps...if you dont want that amzoil I will gladly burn it up for you.
    When I bought the ski it had the riva chip installed. Removing it solved my exhaust temp issue. It is my understanding that the chip only works for powervalve engines. Mine's a 2006 so it does not have the powervalves.

RHeller1, the reason that I thought it was the oil is because that is the only variable that had changed. During my previous 5 tanks of gas mixed with the Quicksilver I did not see the exhaust temp warning a single time.
    Maybe I am missing a variable?

I am pretty sure if you have the d-plate you need the chip to fool the ecm even in non-pv motors. I may be wrong, but it sounds like your chip is messed up or something along these lines. I believe its just a resistor, if you have any friends with the chip installed, see if you can borrow theres.

+1
    Hmmmmm...good point...change back to the quick silver and see what happen's. Let us know what happens.this is perplexing.

it is not the oil...
    it has to be a coincidence.
    I have an 08, with the correct resistor in place of the cat temp sensor and the temp sensor down by the coupler to the waterbox is still installed.
    I also have the D plate and jetworx mod and the free flow, no issues using Amsoil interceptor at all...

sort thru the other things first...

Thread Information