+1

gp1200 fuel alarm

Went for my first ride yesterday after filling with fuel. After riding for five minutes the low fuel alarm went off. I noticed fuel gauge was reading low and of course there is still almost a full tank. What should I look for to repair?

+1
    It's the fuel sender. You will need to replace it. It's the part that goes down into the tank that has the fuel line connections at the top.

I think this is from a Hydrotoys post.

Symptom-Fuel gauge reads empty with full tank.

Unhook your battery, hoses, and tank connectors, FIRST, and take out your sending unit by removing the clamps on the rubber grommet. Don't screw it up. They don't sell the rubber grommet seperate. Up, and to the port/rear is about the best way. You might have to stand on the tank to push it down a bit.

Once out, unscrew the screws from the outer plastic shell, and slide it down, and out of the way. Inside you will see a sending unit. Look for the fuse Pico-Fuse on the fuel sending unit. It looks like this...

With your unit unplugged of course, measure across the fuse. If it is a dead short, that is good. If not, then your fuse is blown. You can replace it with another pico fuse. It's 1/2amp.

If you are handy with electronics, another option is to short the fuse and put in an external fuse, which makes changing it out much easier.

http://www.hydrotoys.com/gpr/tuners/...g-unit-repair/

Thanks man but mine is the EFI unit.

Quote Originally Posted by XL1200Ltd-Keith View Post
    I think this is from a Hydrotoys post.

Symptom-Fuel gauge reads empty with full tank.

Unhook your battery, hoses, and tank connectors, FIRST, and take out your sending unit by removing the clamps on the rubber grommet. Don't screw it up. They don't sell the rubber grommet seperate. Up, and to the port/rear is about the best way. You might have to stand on the tank to push it down a bit.

Once out, unscrew the screws from the outer plastic shell, and slide it down, and out of the way. Inside you will see a sending unit. Look for the fuse Pico-Fuse on the fuel sending unit. It looks like this...

With your unit unplugged of course, measure across the fuse. If it is a dead short, that is good. If not, then your fuse is blown. You can replace it with another pico fuse. It's 1/2amp.

If you are handy with electronics, another option is to short the fuse and put in an external fuse, which makes changing it out much easier.

http://www.hydrotoys.com/gpr/tuners/...g-unit-repair/

Thread Information