Thread: Runs Terrible!

Runs Terrible!

I have a 1999 Polaris genesis 1200 FICHT. It has always had a sporadic miss at mid-range. But it always starts good, and has plenty of power, and zero hesitation or miss under load. I found the coil for #2 cylinder to be cracked, and I repaired this. This seemed to get rid of the miss, and I thought I had it fixed. Yesterday, it finally gave up. Starts hard, and will only go about 10 MPH. Misses like crazy, and bogs real bad. I am pretty good with working on carburated engines, as I have had snowmobiles my whole life. These EFI, computer controlled engines have me a little lost. Any one out there have any ideas?

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome to the Hulk

Click below for lots of good info, and especially look here;
    Polaris Ficht Fuel Injected Engines

Check fuel pressure first. Should be over 20PSI, as soon as the engine starts to crank, and should be stable.
    How to repair a Ficht fuel pump - pressure regulator has fallen inside

If fuel pressure is good, check the injector voltage on the White/Red wires (with all injectors plugged in). Should be 40-45 volts when the engine is running, and over 20 volts when cranking.

Are you seeing a red lamp, or warning messages on the display?

The 1999 Genesis FFI wire harnesses can develop problems internally, especially the black grounding wiring can become corroded and/or intermittent at the splices. If this is your problem, it can be hard to track down.

When you replaced the ignition coil, did you clean the metal boss where it contacts the metal tab for the coil, and clean the bolt threads?

I re-bend the coil tabs so the fiber washer is against the coil body, and the metal grounding tab has clean metal to metal contact with the cylinder head.

You might want to do this for all three ignition coils.

Runs Terrible

I did ensure everything was clean, and reassembled perfectly. I will check the fuel pressure here shortly, and repost. I will also check the injector voltages. I should also add, it runs great now! I just started it, and it appears to be running pefectly this morning, after drying out. I think I may have a wiring issue, whereas something is getting wet, and that is when it runs bad.

+1
    You should know that the TPS (Throttle Position Sensor) on Ficht engines has a finite life. Engine vibration, moisture, age, and usage are factors.

If you have not done so yet, purchase a replacement TPS sensor. A failing TPS sensor can create all sorts of strange symptoms.

Be sure to purchase the correct TPS part number;
    Ficht TPS versions, sources
    1999-2001 non-pigtail TPS, 2002-2004 pigtail TPS versions are not interchangeable

Also check and clean the metal connections inside the TPS connector;
    TPS electrical connector can cause problems, check, clean and tighten the metal pin sockets

Some Common TPS Failure Reasons

• Over torque of the TPS, use the torque specs and torque evenly so you don't crack the housing.
    • Salt water internal corrosion, usually due to a broken or cracked housing.
    • The connections at the TPS can develop corrosion, it's important to hang the wires from the TPS so they do not pull or tug at the connector.
    • The early TPS sensors (99-01) without the pig-tails have an average life of 4 years.
    • Two cylinder engines tend to vibrate more then the three cylinder, TPS may fail sooner
    • The style without the pig-tails were the headaches, read above and take the necessary precautions to help preserve your TPS.
    • The newer TPS design with the overmolded plastic body and pig-tail is the better version

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by RandyH View Post
    ...I should also add, it runs great now! I just started it, and it appears to be running perfectly this morning, after drying out.

I think I may have a wiring issue, whereas something is getting wet, and that is when it runs bad.
    Did you run it on the water to check it, or just on the trailer?

If you had a red warning lamp or warning message, the EMM will have a stored trouble code;
    How to read Polaris Ficht EMM trouble codes without special software or a computer
    When the Check Engine message comes on, the EMM stores special codes into memory.
    You can read those codes, and find out what the EMM thinks may be the problem.

Thread Information