Premix and Long Distance Rides

I have a question regarding running pre-mix and going on long distance rides where you have to fill up on the water at a marina.... Whenever I fill my gas tank, I use my fuel jug and fill it up with 5 gallons of fuel at a time, use a measuring cup to get the correct amount of oil for 5 gal, then pour the oil into the fuel jug to make a 40:1 mixture, then dump the fuel jug into the fuel tank of the ski... seems like a long process, but I am very anal and make sure I get the exact ratio before putting it into the tank.

but, here's my question, when I go out onto the water for a long distance ride and have to fill up at a marina where I have to fill directly into the tank, how do you pre-mix guys pour the oil? Do you just fill up the tank with fuel, and however many gallons it takes to fill, you just pour the equivalent amount of oil from a measuring cup directly into the tank to get your ratio or what? do you have to idle around a bit to let it mix in prior to getting on the throttle?

thanks.

One option would be to carry a couple of 20oz soda/water bottles filled with oil in your front bin. If you want your pre-mix to be 40:1 a 20oz bottle would be the right amount of oil for 6.25 gallons of gas (20*40=800, 800/128=6.25) so 2 bottles would treat twelve and a half gallons. This is actually about the amount of gas my GPR takes when the fuel light comes on. I think it would be better to add the oil before the gas so it can mix better. So as long as you run your ski a little while after the low fuel light comes on you should be good to add 2 20oz bottles of oil and have room for 12.5 gallons.

I saw that you also replied in my thread about your experience with Amsoil intercepter. I'm wondering what impact pre-mix vs oil injection would have on my overheating exhaust. Did you run interceptor before you went pre-mix?

Quote Originally Posted by javajoe View Post
    One option would be to carry a couple of 20oz soda/water bottles filled with oil in your front bin. If you want your pre-mix to be 40:1 a 20oz bottle would be the right amount of oil for 6.25 gallons of gas (20*40=800, 800/128=6.25) so 2 bottles would treat twelve and a half gallons. This is actually about the amount of gas my GPR takes when the fuel light comes on. I think it would be better to add the oil before the gas so it can mix better. So as long as you run your ski a little while after the low fuel light comes on you should be good to add 2 20oz bottles of oil and have room for 12.5 gallons.

I saw that you also replied in my thread about your experience with Amsoil intercepter. I'm wondering what impact pre-mix vs oil injection would have on my overheating exhaust. Did you run interceptor before you went pre-mix?
    I ran Yamalube in my oil injection system, then went with interceptor when I went premix. One thing I had to do as well is have the 2.2k resistor in it because the riva chip doesnt work on the newer gpr's.

+1
    I carry a couple of washer fluid concentrate bottles filled with Klotz. The bottles are exactly 16 ounces full which, when mixed with 5 gallons equals a 40:1 mix. I usually get 5 gallons at a time, unless I'm near or on the buzzer. If so, I get 10 gallons. I put the oil in the tank FIRST then have them pump exactly 5 or 10 gallons. The filling action of the fuel mixes the oil pretty well. As I pull away from the gas station, I rock the ski side to side for a few seconds to thoroughly mix the premix. Some will tell you its not good enough, and you always need to mix in a container then pour in. All I can tell you is the KLOTZ oil I use mixes VERY easily. Ive put 16 ounces in a clear water jug and just poured the gas from a gas can in. The action of just pouring the gas into the Klotz oil was enough that it was thourouly mixed and needed no shaking. So i seriously doubt pumped in fuel is not fully mixed if you add the oil first. I can only speak for Klotz Ski Craft oil however. Try it for yourself if in doubt.

in regards to the mixing question, you need to remember the second you hit a wave it's going to be mixed like crazy. And if it's a few seconds before you hit one, then chances are the fuel at the bottom of the tank was still mixed

Quote Originally Posted by Prism View Post
    I carry a couple of washer fluid concentrate bottles filled with Klotz. The bottles are exactly 16 ounces full which, when mixed with 5 gallons equals a 40:1 mix. I usually get 5 gallons at a time, unless I'm near or on the buzzer. If so, I get 10 gallons. I put the oil in the tank FIRST then have them pump exactly 5 or 10 gallons. The filling action of the fuel mixes the oil pretty well. As I pull away from the gas station, I rock the ski side to side for a few seconds to thoroughly mix the premix. Some will tell you its not good enough, and you always need to mix in a container then pour in. All I can tell you is the KLOTZ oil I use mixes VERY easily. Ive put 16 ounces in a clear water jug and just poured the gas from a gas can in. The action of just pouring the gas into the Klotz oil was enough that it was thourouly mixed and needed no shaking. So i seriously doubt pumped in fuel is not fully mixed if you add the oil first. I can only speak for Klotz Ski Craft oil however. Try it for yourself if in doubt.
    14.5 ounces of oil should be a 40:1 mix, since its 2.91 oz. per gal for a 40:1 mix. I wonder how well Interceptor mixes compared to the Klotz? That is a good idea, I'll probably just carry a few bottles that will treat 5 gallons at a time....

I'm surprised with so many 2 strokes on the water (at least at my lake) that marinas don't keep cans on site for premix or have some kind of attachment that will pump the gas and oil at the same time (hasn't anyone in R&D tried to come up with a fitting for a pump that will feed the appropriate amount of oil as the gas pumps?). It's illegal where I ride to carry a can of gas on your boat or have one on your dock, so premix is tough to do (legally).

Since I have a 2 stroke, I have to fill up at marina's on the water, or on the shore with a jug all the dam time. My range is 60ish miles...
    I keep A pre-mix container from west marine (holds enough oil for 11 gallons of gas at 50-1) it has a nice snug lid and holds plenty of oil for a refill.
    and I fill up right from the nozzle into the ski, then add the oil after I know how much fuel I put in, I generally just try to put in an even Gallon amount,,, ie: 8 gallons vs 8.5 etc... then dump the oil in,, I personally don't worry too much if i'm running 47, 48, or 50 to 1, If anything I try to error towards the rich side vs the lean.
    Then like a poster above said, I just rock it a little and after my first wave or bump, i'm convinced that i'm pretty dam well mixed and i've never thought twice about it.
    I do the same thing with my jugs, i put 4 gallons in a 5 gallon tank and bring a couple tanks with me to the ramp... I try to add 4 gallon increments. After I put in the gas, I add the oil and rock it a little and don't worry. I do not premix into the jugs, since I use the same jugs for the lawnmower and stuff.
    my only suggestion is to get the good oil container that has the ratio's right on the side from west marine or some other company (i've been told wally world has them). I found a pic, its see through plastic, snug lid, and about the size of a 1L bottle.
    a bottle with the ratio's on the side imho is a better idea than a couple of old coke bottles...

$5 online...
    http://www.maximausa.com/products/misc/mixbottle.asp
    Last edited by Spimothy Leary; 08-18-2009 at 09:43 AM. Reason: found the pic !

Quote Originally Posted by Spimothy Leary View Post
    Since I have a 2 stroke, I have to fill up at marina's on the water, or on the shore with a jug all the dam time. My range is 60ish miles...
    I keep A pre-mix container from west marine (holds enough oil for 11 gallons of gas at 50-1) it has a nice snug lid and holds plenty of oil for a refill.
    and I fill up right from the nozzle into the ski, then add the oil after I know how much fuel I put in, I generally just try to put in an even Gallon amount,,, ie: 8 gallons vs 8.5 etc... then dump the oil in,, I personally don't worry too much if i'm running 47, 48, or 50 to 1, If anything I try to error towards the rich side vs the lean.
    Then like a poster above said, I just rock it a little and after my first wave or bump, i'm convinced that i'm pretty dam well mixed and i've never thought twice about it.
    I do the same thing with my jugs, i put 4 gallons in a 5 gallon tank and bring a couple tanks with me to the ramp... I try to add 4 gallon increments. After I put in the gas, I add the oil and rock it a little and don't worry. I do not premix into the jugs, since I use the same jugs for the lawnmower and stuff.
    my only suggestion is to get the good oil container that has the ratio's right on the side from west marine or some other company (i've been told wally world has them). I found a pic, its see through plastic, snug lid, and about the size of a 1L bottle.
    a bottle with the ratio's on the side imho is a better idea than a couple of old coke bottles...

$5 online...
    http://www.maximausa.com/products/misc/mixbottle.asp
    definitely going to pick one of those up. so no issues at all with putting the oil in after you fill it up?

no issues at all, this particular mix container I thought was a step up from the other mix container options due to the solid and stable lid. I just keep this in a big gallon size ziploc and a medium funnel in a ziploc and i'm good to go.

Thread Information