newbie needs help!!

first off this looks like a great forum,thanks.ok i have a 2003 polaris genesis i 1200.just bought it with only 13 hours.put it in the water and it died!!got it home put a fuel pressure guage on it and could watch pressure drop,so i bought a new fuel pump.i have 12.0 volts at the pump but now it wont start and i have no fuel pressure.this is my first ski and iam getting unpatient ,any help would be great!!

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome

Click below for more useful info.

Did you install an entire new Polaris fuel pump?

I have to ask - did you have the lanyard in place on the handlebar switch?

Did you confirm that all the electrical connectors are plugged in as they should be, not only the one at the top of the fuel tank?

In addition to the fuel tank connector (which has a locking tab), make sure the connectors at the EMM are all tight and latched.

The fuel pump always has 12 volt power. The EMM starts the pump by grounding the Brown wire to the fuel pump, when the EMM senses that the engine is cranking (rotating).

When you crank the engine after it has been sitting for more than five minutes, does the MFI display 'wake up' at the same time?

Does it show RPM while you are cranking?

Polaris Ficht Fuel Injected Engines

yes i installed a complete pump.yes it shows rpm while cranking and the mfi does wake up after 5 mins.ill have to double check the landyard.thanks

ok landyard is hooked up.i also noticed that while cranking the the speedo resets and the red light flashes and display reads Please Ride Responsibly. Should the mfi be doing this while cranking?? sorry like i said this is my first ski

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by rinehart81 View Post
    ok landyard is hooked up.i also noticed that while cranking the the speedo resets and the red light flashes and display reads Please Ride Responsibly. Should the mfi be doing this while cranking?? sorry like i said this is my first ski
    Yep, that is what the MFI does when it wakes up.

+1
    yes i installed a complete pump.yes it shows rpm while cranking and the mfi does wake up after 5 mins...
    You installed a new fuel pump, and now you have no fuel pressure during cranking - correct?

Have you confirmed that the fuel pump connector is properly latched into position. If you tug on the connector, it should not come apart (without sliding the latch sideways first).

Has it ever worked since the fuel pump was installed?

What else was touched or unplugged while the fuel pump was being done?

Insert a grounding wire alongside the Brown wire, where it goes into the fuel pump connector. Does the fuel pump run with the Brown wire grounded?

Try unplugging the 3-pin TPS connector, at the rear end of the throttle body. See if it will start with the TPS disconnected.

ok i unplugged the tps and it started.i then took tps off and made sure all connections were clean and tight put all back togther and it ran great.i put it in the water last night ran great just didnt have any reverse,lol any ideas on that now. thanks for all the great info

+1
    I unplugged the TPS and it started.
    I then took TPS off and made sure all connections were clean and tight - put all back together and it ran great
    I put it in the water last night ran great

just didn't have any reverse... any ideas on that now...
    Glad to hear it is running properly now.

You may want to order a spare TPS, to have on hand. They can fail with various symptoms, and it can be useful during future diagnostics.
    Ficht TPS versions, sources

Regarding the PERC electric Reverse not working, was it working recently?
    If you hold the bilge button down, does Reverse now work?

Did you unplug or disturb any of the wiring related to the bilge pump or the reverse system?

When the engine is running, is the bilge pump also running?
    You should be able to feel the pump vibration when you put your hand on it.

Thread Information