Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Adding a Shifter

I have a 1994 sl750 and i was wondering if there is anyway to add a shifter to it, So i can put it into neutral and not have to turn the engine off if i want to stop. Also i would like to have reverse but i dont think that is even posable. This site is the best. Thanks

SPEED KILLS, BUT YOU GET THERE QUICKER Keddano's Avatar
    +1
    Guys have added a reverse from a SLT, but none are really able to be put in Neltural.

what is involved to add reverse

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    It's a direct drive. (engine to impeller, so no neutral)

You need a reverse bucket and a rev erse cable with lever.

Check out a SLT set up and see if you can make it fit yours. I know others have done it.

Even with a direct drive, you can still have a neutral. The reverse bucket is basically moved to a position where the thrust is being directed straight down instead of forward or reverse. My Yamaha XR1800 jet boat uses this principle and it works great. I don't know if you can adjust the reverse bucket on a SLT to hold midway between forward and reverse. My guess is that you can't because there is no "stop" to hold it there.

my virage tx has a neutral position on it , same set up reverse on the slt except it pushes the water out to both sides of the redirectional housing, keeping the ski kind of neutral . if you could get the lever set up off a slt , and the jet directional housing off the virage , i bet it would work . be a lot of work for something i hardly use , but to each his own !!

I have a sl750 would that be the same as the slt. Also would you be able to give me the link where I can by the reverse bucket and has instlation instructions. Thanks

+1
    SLT denotes the three person hull yours is like mine and is a 2 person hull

try a web page called pure polaris . go to pwc , and click on the icons to find your year , model . then you can go thru catalogue to find correct part # . then call a polaris dealer and order. sounds like a lot of work , and to be honest i hardly use my neutral. you might try just posting an ad on here for all the reverse parts.

http://www.purepolaris.com/

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by jbwoodshop19509 View Post
    I have a sl750 would that be the same as the slt. Also would you be able to give me the link where I can by the reverse bucket and has instlation instructions. Thanks
    John Zigler has a great Polaris bone yard and has many used parts available: http://www.rockcountyjetski.webs.com

I think you would have make some kind of mod for the reverse linkage to work with your trim. I recall reading about somebody doing this, but I don't recall who it was.

Finally, you would not want to put a PWC in "neutral", at least not a situation in which the driveshaft is not turning. The water flowing through the pump is also your only means of circulating cooling water through the engine and exhaust. Without that water going through the pump you're gonna get hot and crispy in a hurry.

KJ

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information