+1

Please help submerged ski!!!

I let my cousin ride my ski its a 1996 900 ZXI i never have had any problems with it for the past 7 years and him and his friend were riding it and kept jumping off and back on so i think water came in through the seat and filled the ski with water. anyways i took out the plugs got all the water out of the engine, lubed it up and got it back running i ran it for 30-45 min after i fixed it and it ran very good like it did before. i took it out again the next day and it ran fine for an hour then i took it out and it was fine for a minute and then wouldn't accelerate and it stalled out and i cranked it and it wouldn't start. my friend and i looked and it looked like it was getting intermittent spark. does anyone have suggestions before i tear it apart? im thinking just a coil or cdi box because it is getting fuel and i changed the spark plugs. i think i will be taking the box apart to check today or tomorrow any help would be appreciated thanks!!

ps does anyone know where i can download a repair manual?

+1
    Well, you did good in getting the engine running promptly. I suspect you have water in the CDI box. Water, electricity, and copper components = corrosion very quickly! Open it up and dry it out, then try cleaning any the corroded contacts.

+1
    alright thanks i will try that out hopefully i don't need a new cdi box if anything positive i will post tonight

+1
    i have taken out the whole engine cuz i have heard it could be a woodruff key from when i changed the bendix but i took the cover back off and everything seems to be fine it will still not start and backfires a little bit there was a little bit of water when i took off the fly wheel cover so i was wondering if that would cause the problem or should i still look for something different. and there was only a little water in the electrical box nothing corroded

+1
    spray everything down with crc or wd40 so that it dries and doesn't corrode.

Water on the coils will cause weird issues

Thread Information